Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

True RMS-to-DC Conversion......(RMS..???)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because they only give the average or peak voltage depending on your meter.

All the various AC voltage values (RMS, peak. average, effective, etc) can be quite confusing to newcomers to electronics. The math can be a bit confusing also and terms like creast factor let alone distortion products can make what should be a simple measurement somewhat mystical.

I had someone explain to me many decades ago that the true RMS value of any AC wave form is such that it would dissapate the identical amount of heat energy as the same value of DC voltage if connected to the same value resistive load. That helped me get at least a start on understanding the theory and measurement practices of AC voltages.

Of course when the load changes to reactive elements then a whole new set confusing factors began for me;)

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back