Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

True random number generator meets VUMeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

babajibabaji

Hello,

I know very little about electronics and I am need a circuit that based on a sound input will generate a true random number generator and light one of ten leds randomly.

Any one giving enough to design this circuit for me?

Thanks in advance,

Random numbers

What type of sound input will it be?
And how must it relate to the random number?

Last edited:
True random number generators usually need some kind of input (computer sound cards are very common) to interfere with the random generator algorithm. Some even use radioactive decay...

It will be an ordinnary MP4 or computer earphone plug for input. The sound should interfere with algorithm, create a random number from 1 to ten and light on the corresponding led.

Thanks a lot.

A.

This isn't a helpful comment I know, but there is no such thing as a "True" random number generator.

All there is are generators which are less predictable.

Mark

If you use as seed or key some physical phenomenon that is expected to be random and then compensates for possible biases in the measurement process, you get a true number generator as opposed to a pseudo number generator.

That is where the sound comes in.

Thanks,

A.

Sorry - still no thing as "True", just less predictable (sorry if thats sounds pedantic)

Either way, your would need to base your decision of determining of which algorithm to use based on processing power and storage and opting an acceptable middle ground.

I have seen circuits (search for "Random IC") which impersonate a random number or sequence for something simple like flashing a dozen LED's but if you are talking big numbers you may need to consider the Microcontroller option.

All the best.

Mark

I have a sound (output as an ordinary computer mic or a MP4 player) I want to run through a circuit so that it generates a random number from 1 to 10 and lights a corresponding led. The sound is used as a random seed or key to trigger the circuit. Leds should light on and off continuously as long as there is sound feed.

The sound feed is as random as it gets.

I know very little about electronics so I need the full circuit.

Thanks,

A.

Sorry - still no thing as "True", just less predictable (sorry if thats sounds pedantic)

Not pedantic, but wrong. :)

All you need to do is produce the next number in the sequence that could not be predicted based on knowing the previous numbers. And "could not be predicted" means that there is an equal chance of the number you predict being any of the possible new numbers.

So if I am generating numbers from 0-9, and posting them here, for me to post the next number as truly random all that is required is that you can only guess the new number as good as 1:10 odds before I post it.

It's really not that hard to generate a random sequence where the next number cannot be predicted by knowing the numbers before it, no matter how smart you are or how big your computers are. That's a "true" random number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back