Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

True 16 bit up/down counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

pageygeeza

Right, fried my brains trying to figure this one out. :(

I made a 3 digit up/down counter a few years ago and this time I need to make a different version, but I'm scuppered as to how to figure out the logic circuits.

Basically the 4510 will only count to 1001 then reset and send the pulse onto the next counter as to be able to send the correct binary sequences to the appropriate displays. I was hoping to create a real binary sequence from the separate unit counters, so 15 would be 1111 and not.....
TENS- UNITS
0001 - 0101.

Hmmm, just realised. If I don't make the 4510 reset at 1001 and let it carry on until 1111 and make it count normally that way, is there any way of converting that binary info to several 7seg displays to show the number that way? So by inputting the correct binary number into the converter, will give you the correct numerical display?

Converting binary to display in decimal is a complex process. There is no simple logic to do that. Much better to stay with the 4510 which counts BCD that is easily displayed in decimal digits.

Yeah just realised that. ;)

How about doing it the other way around? Multiplying the digit by it's location then adding them together?

So 438 would be
4 = 0100 x 100 = 0001 1001 0000
3 = 0011 x 10 = 0001 1110
8 = 1000 plus is a unit so doesn't get multiplied by anything.

Which gives us 0001 1011 0110 which is 438 in decimal. This is about the most simplest way I can think of doing it.
I was looking at binary multipliers but got completely lost.

You are going in reverse. You are converting the decimal value to BCD. But if I understand correctly, you have the number in binary and want to convert binary to BCD decimal. See this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back