Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

trip wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryans63

Hopefully I can explain this well enough. I want to make electronic trip wires, best description I can think off. Basically I want to make a small box that I can mount to a tree/ground/etc and run a trip wire across a path with one end of the trip wire attached to the box that has either a switch or pin it is attached too-the wire, and the other end of the wire attached to whatever. So when someone walks thru the trip wire it pulls out a pin or flips a switch which turn the “box/sensor” on and it send a signal to a small control box where it makes a red light flash after its been tripped/activate. I would have say four of the sensors and whatever one, or all, are activated/tripped it flashes that warning light. I drew a crappy pic, did it in paint so I had limitations. if sensor one is tripped/activated it flashes the light on the control panel so I know it was sensor one and then can tell where someone tripped it, so if two are tripped, say sensor 1 and 2, only those two lights flash. It has to all be wireless and somewhat small, with a signal range of probably 75 feet etc. Basically a sophisticated “trip flare”. I have extensive knowledge in electronics, I am a mechanic, just not in these type of electronic areas. Any one help? If anyone has a idea a schematic would also help big time, like I said I have experience just not in what I need help with. Thanks!!!

**broken link removed**

The hardest part will probably be the wireless. How much are you looking to spend? You can get ready-built wireless chips with that kind of range from Digikey, Mouser, Jameco, etc. Simple FM transmitter/receiver kits are also available, and if you don't want to use wireless chips and microcontrollers you could use FM kits with DTMF (i.e. touchtone phone) encoders. One idea is here: https://www.electronic-circuits-diagrams.com/remotecontrolsimages/remotecontrolsckt5.shtml

For a homebuilt transmitter I'll let somebody else field the question until I've built one or two myself. :)

You didn't fill in your location information so I have no idea what kind of stuff is easy for you to get. Also, I have no idea what restrictions there are on low-power transmission where you are.

How long will this need to run unattended? Presumably the remote sensors will be battery-powered so keeping current consumption down while nothing is happening (nothing has tripped the wire) will be important.

For the trip sensor, one idea is to make the trip wire a loop, and have a simple circuit that detects when that loop is broken. Or get 4 reed switches and attach one end of the tripwire to a permanent magnet. Use the reed switch to apply power to the transmitter when the magnet is pulled away from the reed switch in the sensor. That has the upside of using no power until it's tripped. You might be able to use 4 sets of window security sensors, the kind which trip when the window is opened. They have reed switches, but I don't know what kind of current those can switch.

Just some ideas,

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back