Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

trim pot ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-3-2-4

I can't figure out the rating.. it seems to be single turn that's for sure

checking with my meter it will have a range from like .54 kohm to 88 kohm does that sound right?

Attachments

• DSC00558.JPG
    DSC00558.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 162
  • DSC00559.JPG
    DSC00559.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 192
It's marked 104 which is a very standard marking for 10 with 4 zeros, ie 100000 ohms or 100k.

What's the normal adjustment range on these? I assume it would be 0-100k but you never know.. I was going to use this (have a bag full) for a voltage adjustment for a battery charger.

What do you have from end to end ignoring the wiper? I expect not any difference.

20, 25 and 30% tolerances are possible for a trimmer. They might not be a good choice for a potentiometer, but potentiometers are going the way of the pay phone.

It should be roughly 0 to 100k as you said. But also like KISS said they can have a significant amount of tolerance.

I would expect it to be closer to 100k than your "88k" reading, but I suspect your fingers might have been touching things and your finger resistance lowering the measured result. Try to measure again carefully, with just the probes touching the pins. :)

It was rather hard to measure and turn the dial at the time time ;) I will try again in a few, btw how many turns are they rated for?

Just measure between the outer two pins. It's only 1 turn - if you don't mind possibly destroying one to see how they work (since you have a bag full), prise off the little plastic dust cover and you will see where the wiper contact goes - that may answer some questions. If by "rating" you mean wattage - very tiny is the answer - maybe 1/8th of a watt.

If he is talking about "how many turns before it fails from wear" than probably not as many turns as a proper pot meant for user adjustment.

Ceramic trimpots like the one in the photo have a very strong wiper spring and feel hard and "scratchy" and are really meant for "trim" setup use, not for being constantly turned like a volume pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back