Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Treadmill 16pin female connector for painted ribbon cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manicmechnic

Hello all, I got a treadmill that I was moving to another location in my house. Anyway it work untill I hit the key pad on door way. It rip the connector from ribbon cable. I called the dealer and of course they don't make any more. So he said I search on the internet and got a soder type it dont work because the ribbon cable is painted. I need a snap type. Any and all help would be great thank you in advance.

You can prolly check with Digikey, but you will need abit more info than that. Like how many pins or wires does the ribbon cable have ? is there anything written on the cable? or maybe something written on the keypad near the cable socket?

nettron1000 said:
You can prolly check with Digikey, but you will need abit more info than that. Like how many pins or wires does the ribbon cable have ? is there anything written on the cable? or maybe something written on the keypad near the cable socket?

Manicmechnic said that there were 16 pins.

Heres what it says "DUPONT 2" There is no other info on the inline 16pin female snap type for painted ribbon cable. The dealer won't tell me what I am looking for but they know what I need.

Can you get us a picture? You know, digital cam, scaner and film camera, anyway?

Alright... I want you to know I'm really working on this :wink: ... Now, can you tell me the position of the holes? Like are they in two rows? Just one? 3 or more? Maybe you can draw something up on your computer?

Have a look thru this list of connector and cable manufacturers and see if you can find a connector that looks like the one you have. Browse thru their products list looking for flat cable connectors with female SIP sockets.

**broken link removed**

I've seen devices with flat plastic cables where the conductors were "painted" on.
Membrane keyboards sometime have these.
They are cheap to produce but not very resilient, as you have found out.
When the cable flexes, cracks appear cutting the conductor.
If the cable pulls from it's compression socket, it often cracks when one re-inserts it.
That could be the reason they seem difficult to find.
If your cable is shot you may be out of luck.
Perhaps you could make your own compression connector.
Measure the conductor spacing, if it is 0.1 inch you are in luck.
This is a standard spacing for 'perf' boards like Radio Shack's 276-1688.
You could cut off 16 traces worth and build up the surface with solder.
Fashion a clamp of some type and however you want to hardwire it.
Seems like a lot of work, but so is running the treadmill.

Mosfet, The membrain and the ribbon cable is one piece its very strong plastic its good shape. But the connector was cheap and broken I'v tried to solder on the painted surface it melted but theres extra ribbon I can tap in. But I need the connector. I will keep looking "nettron1000". Is there another name for what I'm looking for? Flat cable connectors with female SIP sockets. I'v look for this but not found what I'm looking for. I don't know tech talk.

Im not exactly sure what type of ribbon cable connector you need since you do not have a picture or anything to identify it. Im trying to follow your discription of it.
There are many different types of cable connectors ,as im sure you've already found out , so the only option i think would be to browse thru some of the manufacture and supplier sites and try to find one that looks like the one you have.
Heres another list of suppliers i just dug up:

**broken link removed**

The only other thing I can think of, is to order a Digi-Key catalog and look for your's. (Can't browse their website 'cause they don't have pics.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back