Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Traylor on 2300 Triumph Rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregory

I am connecting wires to a motor bike 2300Rocket 3 Trimuph to connect into a 6 pin plug
Every thimg workes except the RH blinker and LH blinker when pluged together.
I caried out test on both circuits and every thing workes ok but as soon as I connect the trailer to the bike the unit will not blink on the bike or trailer.
if I remove the the the bulb from the bike then the trailer RH and LH workes and also the front ones on the bike
I think there is to much current draw and the unit shuts down.
How can I fix this problem if this is the case

Last edited:
Does the Triumph use a separate flasher relay? If so, you can change it for one that can handle three bulbs one each side.

If not, you need to fit a relay for each side of the bike. Each relay will have its coil in parallel with the indicator bulb on the bike, and the contacts would be used to switch power to the socket.

Is the flasher relay? It is usual to have just one of those.

Photos or numbers from the side of it would be good.

Even if there is only one flasher relay, you would need two normal relays, one for each side of the bike, to pass on the left and right flashing.

The information on the Relay is
Hella 12V
20 / 30 Amp
4R0003620-13
Can you advise me of which way to go

Last edited:
I think that is a normal relay, and not a flasher relay. Hella seem to have loads of different relays and I can't find that exact one. The part number is probably 4RD 003 620-13, as that is the form of the Hella part numbers. The fact that is says 20 / 30 Amp and that the part number starts "4R" would point to it being a standard relay.

Well all that just means that the flashing function and the current sensing is not done in that relay, so there is no point in changing it. I had hoped that the flasher relay would say something like "2 x 21W" and could be changed to something that could handle more bulbs.

What I would do is to test that all the wiring is OK by plugging in the trailer, and taking out the indicator bulbs. If the flashing doesn't work on the bike with the trailer plugged in and no indicator bulbs in the trailer, you have a wiring fault. You should also check with a voltmeter that you are getting 12 V, turning on and off with the indicators, at the trailer indicator bulb holders.

Assuming that is OK, the easiest solution is to find some LED bulbs for the trailer indicators. They won't take enough current for the bike to notice.

If you don't want to do that, you need to get two automotive relays, and connect each as follows:-

Pin 85 - Ground
Pin 86 - indicator bulb on bike
Pin 30 - Battery on bike (via a fuse)
Pin 87 - indicator connection on socket

You need to do that twice, once for each side of the bike. You only need one fuse, as long as you connect both relays to it. The fuse should be close to where you get the 12 V from.

The idea is that when the indicators operate, the relay for that side of the bike operates as well. The current needed to operate the coil is quite small so that should not be noticed by the bike's electrics. The contacts on the relay allow current straight from the battery to the indicators on the trailer.

I had a quick look at what other people had done, and this might be what you want.

**broken link removed**

It is a solid - state version of what I described, but it supplies all the trailer lights, so that none of them take any load from the bike's lighting connections. All the load comes straight from the battery.

The answer was stearing me in the face but could not see it
2 heads are better than one.
I have gone with the led bulbs and it is working with out any problems.
Thank you for the help that you all gave me.

What a wonderful bike! I'm envious. The Led's are a great solution, my thought train was to decrease the size of the existing bulbs, ie. if previous was 2 x 21w then install 3 x 14w but BRIGHT lights are very necessary on any bike so the Led's are best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back