Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Traveling soon - questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
By October this year I expect to travel to Liverpool UK - then Rotterdam, Iserlohn (Germany) and finally Frankfurt. About two working days in each place.

My questions:

a) Shops within reach in those places, that you know are selling electronic components on the counter so I could visit if time (not much available) allows. Just names so I can Google.

Ordering in advance is out of question.

b) Most practical way, other than plane to go from L'pool to R'dam. Not esential. Just to enjoy if I am not going to add more stress to the whole thing.

c) Mobile phone. For me, anything like roamming would be insane. I have no idea what could be a reasonable solution. A number where I could be called anytime and from where to call my office is what I need.

Buying, renting? Something that could serve at the four places.

Thanks in advance.

c) How about Skype? You can connect your phone to Wi-Fi (many places has it for free) and call anyone for free.

a) Shops within reach in those places, that you know are selling electronic components on the counter so I could visit if time (not much available) allows. Just names so I can Google.
Are you looking just for components, or complete equipment of some kind?

b) Most practical way, other than plane to go from L'pool to R'dam. Not esential. Just to enjoy if I am not going to add more stress to the whole thing.
The most obvious alternative to go from Liverpool to Rotterdam would be the take the train from Liverpool to Hull and then take the ferry from Hull to Rotterdam.
It is quite a long journey on the ferry, depart 21:00 and arrive 08:00 the next day.
Look here:

c) Mobile phone. For me, anything like roamming would be insane. I have no idea what could be a reasonable solution. A number where I could be called anytime and from where to call my office is what I need.
I am not an expert on mobile phones, my knowledge of them is definitely stone age, but the thing for you could be a "Pay As You Go" phone.
Look here:
https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/p...lourCode=BLUE&intcmp=PAYG_Nokia105_99p_180214
A very basic phone cheap as they come, but the individual calls could be expensive. That should not be a problem if work is paying the bill, I guess.
The phone should work anywhere in Europe, but the calls may be a bit more expensive.

JimB

Are you looking just for components, or complete equipment of some kind?

The most obvious alternative to go from Liverpool to Rotterdam would be the take the train from Liverpool to Hull and then take the ferry from Hull to Rotterdam.
It is quite a long journey on the ferry, depart 21:00 and arrive 08:00 the next day.
Look here:

It's also a VERY expensive way to do the journey :D

My daughter spent a year in the Netherlands, and by far the cheapest way was to fly - from Leeds/Bradford in her case. Currently she's in Durham, and she (and her Dutch boyfriend) fly in and out of Newcastle.

I don't know if there are flights from Liverpool?, but if not he could train to Leeds or Manchester.

Incidentally, my daughter came back via EuroRail (and the tunnel), due to the amount of luggage, and that she was going direct to Oxford for a course - she didn't find it a great experience - although that was more London than EuroRail :D

I am not an expert on mobile phones, my knowledge of them is definitely stone age, but the thing for you could be a "Pay As You Go" phone.
Look here:
https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/p...lourCode=BLUE&intcmp=PAYG_Nokia105_99p_180214
A very basic phone cheap as they come, but the individual calls could be expensive. That should not be a problem if work is paying the bill, I guess.
The phone should work anywhere in Europe, but the calls may be a bit more expensive.

Again, my daughter bought a (cheap) Dutch phone when she got to Amsterdam, and used that while over there - but according to the news recently roaming charges have been slashed throughout the EU, so a UK PAYG phone might be reasonable?

But as NorthGuy mentioned, Skype via free WiFi would be a cost free choice, particularly for calling South America.

It's also a VERY expensive way to do the journey :D
I agree, maybe.

But also consider that atf will probably have arrived a few days before on a flight from Buenos Aires, with at least one change involving a (long) wait at the airport.
He may appreciate the change, which is why he said:
Most practical way, other than plane to go from L'pool to R'dam.
He may also appreciate the opportunity to see some of the English countryside.
And, the night on the ferry can be offset against the hotel accommodation which he does not need to buy for that night.

Also, if he is going to Rotterdam, that is where the ferry goes, rather than Amsterdam (Schiphol) where the aeroplane would probably go.

JimB

There's plenty of ways, it's just a question of how much it costs! :nailbiting:

Over 8 hours on a train (and a LOT of money) against about an hour on a plane (plus a short train journey each end) for a LOT less money.

Plus you don't really see much of a country from a train, I'd sooner spend the time seeing parts of the country that sat on a train.

I notice there's a complete lack of suggestions about components in Liverpool :D I can't say I've ever been there, or for that matter where else I'd suggest in the UK. Historically Tottenham Court Road in London used to be THE place.

About the only place I've been (and not for MANY years) is RF Potts at Derby.

atferrari said:
Depends on what you want... There is a big Maplin's near Liverpool central... I go to Liverpool a lot but have never sampled the electronic world there....

John lennon airport has flights to Amsterdam which is just over 50km away..

It's all he's got.... At least it is a large shop and quite of the few components listed are there.

Obviously there will be a small electronic retailer in the back streets, but I have never seen one...

To Nigel, Jim B, Ian and NorthGuy,

Gracias. Your discussion was enlightening enough. With a pdf showing the train operators in UK I managed to understand the options you mentioned. Unless my schedule changes radically I am going to fly from L'pool.

Eurostar is an appealing idea on how to spend 9 hours and a lot of money! :nailbiting:

Simple components is my interest. I have time to check those shops through the Web. Thanks again.

Pedning item is the phone. Heard the noise that roamming COULD be an option (but knowing what default means, I doubt by then). :mad::confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back