Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transmit and Receive Data Wirelessly from a keyboard to a microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

micro9000

I would like to have a wireless signal sent from a USB keyboard to the microcontroller(PIC18F4685), where the micocontroller will interpret that data and use if statements to perform certain tasks. For instance, if I type "A" on the keyboard it will send a signal wirelessly to the microcontoller and it will turn an LED on or off. Here is my idea (which I of course need your input on the matter):

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

As for PWM input I searched the forum here and looked over the datasheet. The datasheet doesn't provide sample code in C programming language (at least I didn't see any examples). I did however find this link, which was posted in the forum:

Pulse Width Modulation or PWM Tutorial using PIC 16F877, Proteus and Mikroc PART-2 |Linux and Microcontroller Tips

This is sort of confusing to me, and I would kindly ask if anyone could provde me with a template program pertaining to what I want to accomplish (Receive bits in RC2 and turn an LED on out of RA1). Not to mention the above link is using a different microcontroller, so the code may not be applicable.

So, my main questions are:

1.) What oscillating circuit do I need (crystal oscillator perhaps)?
2.) How do I handle the D- and D+ going in to the oscillating circuit/antenna?
3.) What pins should I be using for PWM (if it isn't just RC2)?
4.) How do I set up the code for PWM using C programming language (a template would be much appreciated)?

Any other comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. I really could use your help on this matter. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Here is the PIC 18F4685 pin diagram
**broken link removed**

RC2 is CPP1, which according to the datasheet can be used as an input for PWM. So, I think I am correct, but I still don't quite understand how to set up that pin as an input for PWM and how to handle the wireless signals.

Last edited:
The keyboard is a USB slave. If you want to read the data from it, you will need a USB host. That is not simple to do. You can search this forum about previous discussions on USB hosts.

If you made that a PS2 keyboard, there would have to be loads of projects out there to look at. Add a Pic to decode the keyboard then transmit/receive with a pair of XBee modules and you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back