Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Transistor] Vpinch-off & Vthreshold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucyfer

Ok i was reading and the came the phrase: " Vgs-V(x)< Vt. At that point, the induced charge is zero, and the conducing channel disapears os is Pinched off.
Now the question is, whats the difference betwen Vth and V pinch-off since they are both close to each other... V th is when the channel appears and the current flows from Gate to source... and V pinch-off is the value where the channel no longer exists and there is no current flowing.... now
whats the value differenre betwen each other ? thanks!
best regards
correcting.. there is still current in pinch off mode but its constant...

Last edited:
V pinch-off is not normally specified but, as you note, it is very close to V threshold. The difference between them is probably a few tens of millivolts. V pinch-off is not normally of concern when designing circuits since you typically turn off a FET by applying a voltage well below the threshold.

Your idea of Vpinchoff is totally incorrect. The channel does not disappear at pinchoff. That voltage is at the boundary between a MOSFET's "linerar" or "triode" region, and the "constant current" or "saturation" region ( NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH BJT TRANSISTOR SATURATION ) If VDS - VGS goes above the pinchoff voltage, then the FET operates in the constant current mode. If VDS - VGS goes below the pinchoff, the FET operates in the linerar or triode mode. Pinchoff voltage references VDS. Threshold voltage references VGS.

Last edited:
I was incorrect in my first explanation.

V threshold is normally used with an enhancement-mode FET and refers to the point at which the transistor just starts to conduct.

V pinchoff is normally used to refer to the point at which a depletion-mode transistor is just cut-off.

It has nothing to do with the boundary between the linear and saturation regions of a FET.

It has everything to do with the boundary between linear and saturation regions of a FET.

Ok ... i know these values are specified, but im trying to take some measures of a transistor we build in our own...
like gm, µ, Vth, Vpinch-of.... and what else we can measure!
I was seaching 1st for that answer u guys gaved me... now im thinking if i may find the ζ so i can calculate µ= Vd/ζ ...
i was thinking if the Vg makes any kind of interference in the Vds... i would try to find it by V(x)=-dE/dx .......is it right ?

It has everything to do with the boundary between linear and saturation regions of a FET.
Can you post a reference for that?

Try this

Look at paragraph 4.4 on page 125. That's the only defn of pinch off voltage I know.

Hope you can get to it.

Last edited:
Try this

Look at paragraph 4.4 on page 125. That's the only defn of pinch off voltage I know.
Thanks. That's a good description of the pinch-off operating region of a transistor, which apparently is the formal definition of that term.

There is also a common definition of the pinch-off voltage (as opposed to the pinch-off operating region) which is the cutoff voltage at which a depletion-mode FET just turns off. See the last paragraph of .

I think we're gonna just disagree on this one. I have some problems with the information in the links you've provided. I don't think pinchoff should ever describe the "turn on/turn off" voltage of a MOSFET in any configuration. I think that usage of the term bled over from JFETS, where it was an unfortuante useage too.

Last edited:
I think we're gonna just disagree on this one. I have some problems with the information in the links you've provided. I don't think pinchoff should ever describe the "turn on/turn off" voltage of a MOSFET in any configuration. I think that usage of the term bled over from JFETS, where it was an unfortuante useage too.
That may be true. The term pinch-off is normally used with JFETS and I've seldom seen it used with MOSFETS. But common useage sometimes supersedes correct useage, unfortunately.

hi,
A nice picture is worth a thousand words.:)

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back