Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transistor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

defcon31

hello,

as shown on the figure below, in the first case when i set a 0-5V pulse on input of a transistor, i get a 0-24V pulse on the output, as expected...

but in the second case in the figure, when a attach a load, the voltage drops to 4V on the output... what is the problem??? how can i fix that?

how can i fix it?

thanks in advance

Attachments

• transistor2.JPG
    transistor2.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 382
defcon31 said:
hello,

as shown on the figure below, in the first case when i set a 0-5V pulse on input of a transistor, i get a 0-24V pulse on the output, as expected...

but in the second case in the figure, when a attach a load, the voltage drops to 4V on the output... what is the problem??? how can i fix that?

how can i fix it?

thanks in advance

the problem is that the total load has changed. so eventually the voltage drops. in the first case the total load was only the collector resistor while in the second case the total load is both the collector resistor and the new load that u have added. thats why the voltage has decreased.

to get rid of this problem couple a capacitor at the output stage of the amplifier i.e before the load add a capacitor in series. the bias values will remain the same as they were before. and u should also add a coupling capacitor in the input stage of the amplifier.

While Samcheetah's solution may work if the AC impedance of the load is higher than the DC, a better solution is to use an emitter follower:
I hope you have a current limiting resistance at the input base, otherwise there is danger of blowing the base-emitter junction.

Attachments

• emitter_follower.jpg
    emitter_follower.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 370
samcheetah said:
hey thanx i didnt know that the difference in AC and DC impedance is considered when coupling capacitors. the emitter follower is a nice thing in that it eradicates this problem.

It all depends on what you are doing, you didn't mention resistor values, or what the load was you are trying to drive.

Your original circuit can only 'sink' current (through the transistor), the 'source' current is only that available through the collector load resistor. The last circuit can only 'source' current, through the emitter follower, it can't 'sink' anything at all.

While this doesn't affect your circuit the way it's drawn, it's something to bear in mind - particularly as you could possibly simplify things by replacing the collector resistor in your circuit by the load - saving one resistor, rather than adding an extra transistor.

It all depends on what you are doing, you didn't mention resistor values, or what the load was you are trying to drive.

i didnt have to mention anything because it wasnt my question

anyway the explanation u gave was very good. the source sink analogy helped me understand the idea. im not sure about replacing the collector resistor with the load. i havent seen that type of a configuration in any book. although it is a nice idea[/quote]

i didnt have to mention anything because it wasnt my question

anyway the explanation u gave was very good. the source sink analogy helped me understand the idea. im not sure about replacing the collector resistor with the load. i havent seen that type of a configuration in any book. although it is a nice idea

I do that all the time as I do 3ph PWM inverters using IGBT's. A quick google came up with this - ok nothing abt what you want but as you see the load is in the collector leg

**broken link removed**[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back