Transistor base current

Status
Not open for further replies.

kybert

Hi,

what amount of current should a NPN transistor (low power) have going into its base when the emitter is grounded and the collector is used to switch a relay or somthing.

Ive always used a 1k base resistor driven from a 5V PIC micro output, which is
I = V/R
I = (5Vpic - 0.6vbe)/1000R
= 4.4mA

but was wondering if this is too much current?

The transistors are usually BC337 (500mA collector) or BC547 (100mA collector) depending upon what im switching.

Last edited:
hi kybert,
Look at the transistor datasheet for the Hfe values for the transistor collector current.

eg: if Hfe is say 50 at 100ma, then 4.4mA * 50 = 220mA, so the transistor should saturate.
Its important point is that when switching high current is that the switching transistor is driven into saturation.

How do i tell if its saturated?

Is it when hfe * Ib is greater than the current that is to be switched (Ic) ?

If so, then Ic / hfe gives me the base current, correct?

Last edited:
kybert said:
How do i tell if its saturated?

Is it when hfe * Ib is greater than the current that is to be switched (Ic) ?

If so, then Ic / hfe gives me the base current, correct?

hi,
A visual way to check for collector saturation would be to measure the Vce voltage while the transistor is conducting.
Again, Vce sat, is given in the datasheet, for a regular transistor it will be the order of 0.1V thru 0.2V for the collector currents you are using.

If you use Ic/Hfe you will most likely not drive the transistor hard enough to fully saturate. I would have at least 2 to 3 times the calculated base current in order to switch the transistor 'fast' into saturation.

Does this explain it OK?

OK, so i need to ensure the base has 2x to 3x Ic/hfe as a rule of thumb, and i can check that the device is saturated by measuring Vce, and comparing it with Vce sat in the datasheet.

Thanks you your help.

Im going to do a few simulations on LTspice (the free sim) to prove to myself what we have discused.

Last edited:
Low power transistors have their max saturation voltage spec'd with a base current that is 1/10th the collector current, even if the current gain is very high.

A 2N3055 power transistor has a minimum current gain of 5 when it has a 10A collector current. But its max saturation voltage is a lousy 3V when it has a massive 3.3A base current and a 10A collector current.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…