Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transformer's in series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok back on topic! I have some Pictures, They are not very good, especially the transformer picture, because i have not got the thing dismantled properly yet. Also it isnt as neat as it was, I had to pull it around alot. One other thing, I am having real trouble getting the dial thing off the pot! I think there is a kind of hex screw holding it to the pot shaft, I have tried loads of allen keys, both metric and imperial, all very small but non seem to fit. I cant get a good look at the screw (if it is a screw) so i don't know for sure that it is a hex screw. Anyone know about these things?
Enjoy the pictures! Oh and before anyone point's it out!! DOH DOH, yes i can see where it say's DEMONSTRATION UNIT!
I just forgot it was on there, and it has been packed for a fairly long time.
case1.png

case1.png
case2.png

case3.png

case4.png
case4.png

case5.png

case6.png

case7.png

case8.png

case1.png
case2.png
case3.png
case4.png
case5.png
case6.png
case7.png
case8.png
case9.png

case10.png

case11.png

Couldn't find anything contributory for the WS3000. Did find the nice aluminum case at RS: **broken link removed**

The knobs are probably Allen /hex set screws or small slotted screws. Try a jeweler's screwdriver.

John

I was in your boat once and still kind of am in some areas. :facepalm:

To be fair it's normal for above average intelligence to start out a bit buggy.
You are in effect in the process of developing billions more neural synapse connections above and beyond those that a person of average or less so intelligence has or will ever have which takes considerably longer to do and ultimately reach its full potential. :cool:

By the time you are in your mid 20's to early 30's you are going to have more wrinkles in your brain (more wrinkles equals more neural synapse connections) than a typical person does. That is assuming you keep intentionally learning and pushing yourself to do new things. ;)

I had a MRI done a number of years ago after an emergency room visit and it turns out my brain is unusually wrinkly plus the center crease between the halves is filled in implying I am using both side of my brain equally and simultaneously to a larger than average extent. It's also plausible that is why I am somewhat ambidextrous. I do not have a well defined dominant side of my brain. :cool:

So next time your fingers don't do what your thoughts told them to or you cant remember a simple thing don't feel bad about it. Your simply experiencing the side effects of developing new neural connections faster than solid reliable memory paths can form on them. :woot:

That and really do you expect the few million new neural connections your brain makes every day to work perfectly every time without any short circuits happening now and then? :p

So anyway can you get back to describing this welder power supply/control thing now?

Last edited:
THANK YOU!!!
It is a shame I messed it up a little getting the top off. It was far tidier inside, everything looks hand soldered with alot of attention to detail. Part of me want's to keep it as it is, And part of me would like some of the part's! lol, especially those ten turn pots! and the dials for them! I will try and get the transformers out tomorrow, There appears to be 4 transformer's although two are pretty small. Two look very useful! Also i like all those connectors, i don't have many of that type, and they are expensive (for a kid at least).

so i don't know for sure that it is a hex screw. Anyone know about these things?
It should be a vary small set screw. Probably a hex but some came with torx heads.
You may not find the right size in a standard key set.
Most of the time those knobs were shipped with a tool when you bought them.

It should be a vary small set screw. Probably a hex but some came with torx heads.
You may not find the right size in a standard key set.
Most of the time those knobs were shipped with a tool when you bought them.
You have uttered my worst fear!!!!
Maybe Dad can drill it out and work his magic :D

You have uttered my worst fear!!!!
Maybe Dad can drill it out and work his magic :D
If you have a two way radio repair shop around they may have one that will fit. I used to carry a coin bag full of them. They are vary small.

If you have a two way radio repair shop around they may have one that will fit. I used to carry a coin bag full of them. They are vary small.
Hmmmm I doubt very much there is anything like that within 60 miles+. But i do have the internet and google, so a search for one and a email to ask nicely :D and obviously offer to pay postage!
Thanks for the idea

Thanks' that helps alot. Maybe i could grind a normal allen key with the Dremel!

Most of the turns-counting dials use 0.050 hex. Bristol looks really wierd, but they have been used for knobs too.

LG
The post I commented on was pretty bad. It's extremely important that you work on neatness because it would be rare to achieve the successes of Jim Williams with a really messy workbench. Here's some pics of his workbench: https://www.google.com/search?q=jim...aH8LJsQTF0oDYBA&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=1130&bih=603

Not using text speak, I do believe, is a rule of this forum. The post was borderline with no punctuation or capitalization.

I've been told I have a "touch" of Asberger's too and an attention to too much detail. I too am ambidextrous somewhat, I can generally write left handed, right handed, and mirror image using the left and the right hand. Reading text upside down isn't an issue either. If I happen to be in a restaurant and someone is left handed next to me, I'll switch to left-handed.

The right hand is still dominant. My parents kept making me use my right hand as dominant. Some tools like scissors are available for right and left handed persons. I use the hand that's most convenient.

KISS,I am sorry. I over reacted, Also I have a time problem. If i post then i kind of have a set time limit to do it in, or i stress or panic.
None of this has anything to do with members here, you are correct to pick me up on mistakes. I do suffer some bullying at school over my disabilities,some people think i shouldn't be in the higher sets. I do over react at time's when i feel stressed, And this time of year makes the stress worse, But these are my problem's and i should have more control, So i am sorry.
As for the bench PFFft that's nothing compared to Dads!

he post I commented on was pretty bad. It's extremely important that you work on neatness because it would be rare to achieve the successes of Jim Williams with a really messy workbench.

I fully disagree. Time wasted on cleaning up is time that could have been better spent inventing and or fixing something. :rolleyes:

That and you never know when the odd pile of junk is going to trigger a new line of thought that takes your project in a whole new and better way! :D

The only time I ever expect to be nice neat and presentable is when they pack me in my coffin for the last time. :p

I can NOT STAND a messy bench! My Dad is awful, he leaves the lab like a traveler's camp site!!! Drives me mad! I like to have all the resistor bands in a draw the same way round. With Dad your lucky if there are 2 resistors the same value in a single draw!

Unfortunately, it's what your employer thinks and wants. So, what I'm saying is that you may not be able to "get away" with a messy bench in the "real world".

I agree with the clean-up thing. Seems like I never get to clean up because there is a more important project to do and my "storage" system is unconventional for sure. It's a mix of chronological, like things and task oriented. A task could be current, past and future. e.g. Plumbing stuff stays in a plumbing box. In there you will find big pliers and a large adjustable wrench, for instance.

The only time I ever expect to be nice neat and presentable is when they pack me in my coffin for the last time. :p
For the last time? Do you expect this to happen more than once? o_O

But otherwise I agree with you. The best way to have what you need at hand, is to have everything at hand.

back on topic:-

Before I saw the pics I would've said that some welders have a second 'transformer' in series with the output of the main transformer (possibly after the rectifier) which is actually just a big inductor to help sustain the arc.

Having seen the pics, I'd have to say it doesn't look like any kind of welder I'd recognise, and those transformers look too small for welding and are probably just providing power for the electronics.

And yes you can series connect transformers / windings depending on what you're trying to do.

I have maintained british federal industrial spotters, they are nice machines.
That as you say looks like a demo unit to demo the timers rather than the welders, BF did release some retrofit timers for machines that were older and used thyratrons which were filled with mercury.
You can series and parallel transformers so long as you keep start and finish connections correct, for series start of one winding goes to the finish of the next, parallel start to start and finish to finish.
Seriesing primarys isnt reccomended unless the trannys are exactly the same, ie designed to be used in pairs, if an inbalance occurs due to diffo's in windings one of them will burn out.
I dont care if you have dislexia or not your posts are fine by me.

Edit: I meant Ignatron not thyratron, the latter is even older.

Great information! they are nicely made!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back