Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagan

Can i connect 500 v ac supply to a 220v ac to 6 v step-down transformer
Does it burn the transformer

Any transformer manufacturer. I have no idea where you live so can´t recommend anything specific. Don´t forget to tell them how much current you require.

What is the frequency?

Well his information is pretty vague, but assuming 50/60Hz AC?, then a simple and cheap way would be to use two (identical) 240V to 6V transformers - put the primaries in series, and the secondaries in parallel - job done! :D

then a simple and cheap way would be to use two (identical) 240V to 6V transformers - put the primaries in series, and the secondaries in parallel - job done!
Been there, done that, works well.

But you have to get the phasing correct, otherwise the transformers will be destroyed.

JimB

Been there, done that, works well.

But you have to get the phasing correct, otherwise the transformers will be destroyed.

You ought to try it with three 1KW isolation transformers in parallel, for temporarily feeding an immersion heater - identical transformers, wired them identically - BOOM!!! - one of them was wired differently internally. Then you've got the problem of finding out which one :D

Easy enough with a little thought - just disconnected one end of each transformer, and measured the voltage between each of the three wires, two were 0V (near enough) the third was 480V, so flipped the connections to that one.

It was a temporary solution to my faulty immersion heater (which was leaking to earth), while I was waiting for my new central heating installation. Worked perfectly for a couple of months, and I had the transformers knocking around doing nothing anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back