Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer: What Input/Output?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this transformer that I pulled out of a toy light gun. I want to build the stun gun project but I did not know if this transformer was the right size at 1K:200K. Is there a way for me to test it and see what it is?

Thanks,
Kyle

small transfo

:D hi,

1. measure the resistance of the 3 wire side, if its is 1k thats the center tap side and thats where you input the circuit.

2. the two wire side is your output.

3. whats the voltage used in your train

4. this is assuming that you will use this for stun gun circuit :wink:

1. measure the resistance of the 3 wire side, if its is 1k thats the center tap side and thats where you input the circuit.
I checked and the two outer wires are 0.4Ohms the middle wire with either outer ones is 192.39.

2. the two wire side is your output.
Only if the resistance is 1K?

3. whats the voltage used in your train

4. this is assuming that you will use this for stun gun circuit
That is correct.

Thanks,
Kyle

transfo

:D hi,

what you need for a stun gun is 1k for the input and 200k for the output :wink:

Transformers do not have input and output. You decide that. They work both ways. You need to discover voltage rating and current rating and turns ratios. The best way to do this is by measuring inductance of windings (although you'll have a 50/50 chance) not resistance. Why? because one side can be rated for much lower current and have a much higher resistance even though the number of turns might be smaller.

And if your transformer gets hot, you might be running the core into saturation. I dont know what a stun gun involves but if it uses high frequencies, you'll need a core that can handle it without running into saturation. If your project doesnt work at first and if the transformer feels warm, check this.

Check what? I am a little lost. So I can use any one of the three transformers that I have on my other post? If so then I dont need to check this one.

Thanks,
Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back