Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer Rewind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that the voltage going into the primary of the transformer or supplying the circuit?

Mike.

Don't see any mention of frequency in that post.

Mike.

No, none at all, he's also rather vague about what it's for - but I suspect it's actually a PAT tester.

Depending on type, size, and weight PAT testers use either a conventional mains transformer (mine does, and takes some lifting) or a small and light switch-mode transformer. From his post #19 (assuming that's the actual transformer) it suggests it's conventional, as it shows separate mains windings

If he posted a picture of the transformer, all would become clear.

No, none at all, he's also rather vague about what it's for - but I suspect it's actually a PAT tester.

Depending on type, size, and weight PAT testers use either a conventional mains transformer (mine does, and takes some lifting) or a small and light switch-mode transformer. From his post #19 (assuming that's the actual transformer) it suggests it's conventional, as it shows separate mains windings

If he posted a picture of the transformer, all would become clear.
It says what it is for at the top of the schematic !

Trany

Attachments

• Tr142& rewire.jpg
    Tr142& rewire.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 180
  • TT1418 Rewind on lathe a.gif
    TT1418 Rewind on lathe a.gif
    137.8 KB · Views: 168
  • TT418.jpg
    TT418.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 182
  • TR1418 Secondary Outputs.jpg
    TR1418 Secondary Outputs.jpg
    724.1 KB · Views: 173
The problem with the Transformer is in the Primary winding, have had to take off a secondary winding ( the windind wire we are talking about ) to get at the Primary, all the secondary windings are fine, but since I removed that secondary winding I will have to replace with new wire as well has the Primary when I get it unwound .

Spike

The problem with the Transformer is in the Primary winding, have had to take off a secondary winding ( the windind wire we are talking about ) to get at the Primary, all the secondary windings are fine, but since I removed that secondary winding I will have to replace with new wire as well has the Primary when I get it unwound .

Spike
It's rather like pulling teeth - but presumably the core of the transformer (as you only posted a picture of the bobbin) is the conventional iron laminations?, E's and I's or whatever. The reason we're all trying to find out more is to confirm the transformer type - a switch-mode type is completely different, and used in smaller more modern PAT testers. In a switch-mode transformer it's likely to be important that Litz wire is used, in a conventional 50Hz there's not really any reason to use it.

I'm presuming you can't source a transformer from the equipment manufacturer?.

It's rather like pulling teeth - but presumably the core of the transformer (as you only posted a picture of the bobbin) is the conventional iron laminations?, E's and I's or whatever. The reason we're all trying to find out more is to confirm the transformer type - a switch-mode type is completely different, and used in smaller more modern PAT testers. In a switch-mode transformer it's likely to be important that Litz wire is used, in a conventional 50Hz there's not really any reason to use it.

I'm presuming you can't source a transformer .
I want to repair it, the cost of a transformer for it will be way to high a cost, I just need some copper wire !.
ps: You can see in one of the pics the laminate plates !.
cheers
Spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back