Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer Rewind

Status
Not open for further replies.

spike47

Hi
I am going to rewind a small transformer, the size of the wire it had on was 0.06mm x 9 strands in a bunch, now I can't find that size anywere and if I did I would need 9 bobins of that size, I would lke to know what single strand size wire I could use that would carry the same current !.

cheers
Spike

Last edited:
To keep the same cross section area, you need to multiply the diameter (0.06) by √6 which is 0.147. However, with 6 strands you will get more skin effect so it'll need to be slightly thicker. Maybe something like 36 SWG(0.193mm).

Mike.
Edit, what is the transformer to be used for?
Edit2, misread your post as 6 strands, for 9 replace √6 with √9. So still ~0.2mm wire or 36SWG.

Last edited:
, the size of the wire it had on was 0.06mm x 9 strands in a bunch
When you say "in a bunch", do you mean that the strands were bound together with fine silk or cotton?

Also, for very fine wires in a multi group like nine individual strands, you may be better searching for "Litz Wire", but beware it may be expensive.

JimB

To keep the same cross section area, you need to multiply the diameter (0.06) by √6 which is 0.147. However, with 6 strands you will get more skin effect so it'll need to be slightly thicker. Maybe something like 36 SWG(0.193mm).

Mike.
Edit2, misread your post as 6 strands, for 9 replace √6 with √9. So still ~0.2mm wire or 36SWG.
Hi
Thanks for your reply, I didn't think it as a case of multiplying all the cross sections, ie 4x2.5mm2 cable is not the same has 1x10mm2 !.
Spike

When you say "in a bunch", do you mean that the strands were bound together with fine silk or cotton?

Also, for very fine wires in a multi group like nine individual strands, you may be better searching for "Litz Wire", but beware it may be expensive.

JimB
Hi
Thanks for your reply, one of the secondary coils on the Transformer has a multi wire wound coil made up from 9x 0.06mm dia wire soldered at the ends, each strand is of course insulated ( laquered) .
cheers
Spike

Hi
Thanks for your reply, one of the secondary coils on the Transformer has a multi wire wound coil made up from 9x 0.06mm dia wire soldered at the ends, each strand is of course insulated ( laquered) .
cheers
Spike
You're still telling us nothing - what type of transformer is it, and exactly what is it going to be used for.

You're still telling us nothing - what type of transformer is it, and exactly what is it going to be used for.
Hi
Thanks for your reply, it is going to be used has a sort of "Megger" testing at 420v , am not realy wanting to know what the wire will be used for, I just need to know a average load for 9x0.06mm dia soldered together each end and (each strand is insulated and Laquered) , then to convert that to a single strand !.

Hi
Thanks for your reply, it is going to be used has a sort of "Megger" testing at 420v , am not realy wanting to know what the wire will be used for, I just need to know a average load for 9x0.06mm dia soldered together each end and (each strand is insulated and Laquered) , then to convert that to a single strand !.
You're still telling us very little - is it a low frequency transformer, or a high frequency transformer? - if it's high frequency then you probably need Litz wire, as already suggested, which is why it was used originally.

Mike.
A=πr2=
3.14x0.03x0.03=0.0028mm2 x 9 = 0.0252mm2 !

Spike

Multiplying your wire diameter by 3 (=√9) gives 0.09 radius. Pi * 0.09² gives 0.025mm². I admit, 0.2mm diameter is (slightly) more than 0.18mm (twice radius) to allow for a slight (or maybe huge, depending on frequency) skin effect might be excessive but seemed prudent.

Mike.

Last edited:
TT1418 Rev 27.09.21 edited PS 2.jpg

Primary: – 110 – 240 V

Secondary S3 – 420 V @ 3 mA

Secondary S1 – 6 V @ 32 A

Secondary S2 – 13.2 V @ 400 mA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips