Transformer Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza175

Just wanted to run an idea past you guys, information in the net seems a bit scarce.

I would like to make a transformer but in 2 parts for a project i would like to work on.

The primary coil will be fixed into a shelf, the secondary coil will be in the base of a drawer.

When the drawer is closed the 2 coils will sit directly over one another and will be approximatly 5mm - 10mm apart. When the drawer is open there will be a switch that turns off the primary coil.

The input voltage of primary coil is 240v 50hz and the output of the secondary will also be 240v 50hz. So i assume both coils should have the same amout of windings.

The coils (from what i read on the internet) will have an air core. But i also read that power transmition between the coils isnt good due to losses.

I need to be able to draw upto 1Amp from the secondary coil. The power will be consumed by a heating element.

Is this easily dooable? If so any pointers on the best way to do it?

I looked at inductive coupling/charging. This is no good for my application as it appears to be a little hit and miss with tuning etc. i also dont need long range power transmission.

This inductive coupler will be VERY inefficient, a really bad idea.

You say that you want to pass 1amp, but make no mention of voltage (or power).

My best suggestion is to arrange for two halves of a standard pin to pin connector to make contact when the drawer is in place.

Your problem then is just a case of ensuring mechanical alignment, the power transfer will be 100% efficient.

JimB

And unless your alignment is tight and perfect, you will most likely experience 50 or 100Hz mechanical and audible vibration.

Ken

I did mention it was 240v input and 240v output, is there absolutly no way to do this then without a mechanical solution?

I did mention it was 240v input and 240v output, is there absolutly no way to do this then without a mechanical solution?

You could use a thin iron sheet in the drawer base and heat it from an induction coil, for a drawer warmer.

Mechanical, but is simple:
Mounted on the drawer's back panel: **broken link removed**
Mounted on a panel behind the drawer: **broken link removed**
Does require good alignment.
Ken

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…