Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transformer question again

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy257

Hi Guys

i have been looking to source a transformer which will convert 240Vac to 12Vac. However the 12V side must have a current rating of 5amps. Basically what iam going to do it reverse the transformer around so that it becomes a step up instead of a step down. (is it easier this way?) I am using it in an inverter circuit and i hope to have around 60Watts (60 / 12 = 5 Amps)

My question is:

looking on rs components web site they show specs of transformers with 2 * 6V or 2* 12V etc on the output side. Why do they do this? If i want my 12V do i go for one with 2* 12V and only use one or do i go for one with 2* 6V? and use both to get my 12V?

any help is greatful

cheers
andy.

Here is two causes why made the manufacturers two windings:1. the PCB transformers for low profile the primary and secondary 2-2 independent windings, 2*120 and 2*12 etc. 2.With two secondary need only two diodes for full-wawe rectification.
If You need really only one 12V, choose the 2*6V type and connect the secondaryes serial.
For an inverter (from 12VDC to 220VAC) also better the two secondary type, in this case need only two power transistors, but i recommend the 2*9V secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back