Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiley325

I was building a little power supply, when my voltmeter probe accidently shorted the center tap of the secondary to the other AC wire. Before the transformer was stepping 120 V mains to 36 V, but after the short I'm guessing some of the turns on the secondary side got fused because now it is stepping 120 V mains down to only 45 V.

Is it still safe to use this transformer?

Thanks in advance,
smiley325

Disconnect it from mains, and using ohmmeter, check for any continuity from Primary to Secondary. Should be open or infinite.

A primary to secondary short should never happen if it's a class 2 isolation transformer.

Clarify

Oh sorry, I should have been clearer: what I meant was I shorted the CT on the secondary to the other wire on the secondary (not sure what its called, I call them + and - but it's AC so...?)

Primary and secondary sides still isolated from each other, open circuit.

a momentary short is unlikely to have damaged the transformer.

any fuses in circuit? DVM can gat confused when one probe is o/c and make up readings.

if in doubt grab an AVO;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back