Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transformer primary fuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith1261

Hi!

I'm building a PSU now, with two transformers.

Would you use a primary fuse for each transformer or a single (bigger) fuse would do for both? I'm leaning towards to using one fuse for each, it seems safer that way...

What do you think?

Thanks,
j

On the other hand, I've read it's advisable to put mains fuses before the switch.
Now if I chose to have a fuse for each transformer, I would have to have two switches, which just doesn't sounds that great :D

Last edited:
A single fuse can protect you only if a fault on either of the loads will draw enough current to blow it. If the transformers are similar, this should not be a problem.

Better to fuse each transformer independently.
The inrush current may be causing a single fuse to fail or age prematurely.

You need to use slow blow fuses anyway

I would suggest it depends what you're doing?, as you don't say - if you're simply paralleling two transformers then use a single fuse - if it's two completely separate and different transformers, then use separate fuses.

if you're using separate transformers of different sizes (i.e. one for a low current "standby" supply, and one for a power amp) use separate fuses. if one is a low current standby supply use a fast-blow (type F) fuse. if one is a supply with a large inrush current (like for a power amp or a switching supply), use a slow-blow fuse (type T). you may want to even have a third fuse before the switch as an overall line fuse. it's not unknown for a switch to develop a short on it's own or some other component between the AC line and the transformer short either internally or to the chassis. the line fuse is usually in a panel mounted fuse holder rather than on a board inside the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back