Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer design worked example

Interested in transformer design

• wow, yes, it's fascinating :)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • nahh, I hate robots in disguise :(

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Grim. I don't see a link to your site. Do you have it set up? Can we have a peek?

Bob

nooo it's a secret

I would love to say it is under construction, but it's more like 'under construction once i learn dreamweaver'

:)

Hi again grim,

So when can we expect to see some of this transformer work materialize?

nooo it's a secret

I would love to say it is under construction, but it's more like 'under construction once i learn dreamweaver'

:)

Hahahaha......its more like...when I learn how to use a pc for me....:D

If you need any help with DW let me know, my son is a wiz with computers ( J.Rudd Bsc Hons, Computer Science 2008) :)

I think its a excelent idea .
For a lot of people magnetics design borders *black magic*
Although i did design a few transformers by now i must confess that i used shortcut's :)
Better said i cutted out half of the calculations ,and withdrew my lines to the most important .
Skindepth ,current density ,the amount of windings for the desired fieldstrength in the core and further it was Vpri/Vsec = Npri/Nsec .
All the finer details like temperature rise of the wire & core etc. etc. are for now lost in the process .
(although when i ever get the time to study the topic further i certainly will)
For now it works ,and it did do the job but i would love to learn more about magnetic design .
Probably like many of us i neglected the subject after school and only got to use it 15 years later (damn that math cracks my nutt)

Yes, that would great if you could post your design program or site. I actually just accepted a engineering job a few weeks ago, and am getting into single and three phase power transformer design now. It would interesting to see what you have, especially any tips. It is quite an undertaking to design some of the larger three phase transformers, especially when you go from design in college, to design in a career where it seems already the largest constraint is MONEY.

Hero999 said:
I'd like that, it also be good if you released the source code.

That would awesome. Especially if it could be changed and redone to run on Linux.

ALL the program does is speed up the calculations, and i will explain those.

like everything, it's complicated and mystical until you understand the how and why - which you can then promptly forget.

The industry hasn't changed in the last 50 years probably, so every design that can be done, has been. I am amazed I even have a job - or had one.

For example there is probably a formula somewhere for calculating the power you can get on a core size, but no one uses it, because we all know that a 29 by one is 50VA. I have access to over 10,000 designs. Somewhere the one you want has been done before.

What I would say to anyone thinking of making their own transformer is, DON'T. There are hundreds of transformer companies in the country, and I suspect that applies to a lot of other countries. they have access to the materials and equipment, and can design it for you. Unlike virtually every other component out there, you can order a small batch, or a one off.

If you wanted a 50va that was really special, with 12.43V secondary and a 123v secondary and a primary of 98V, it would be the same as ordering a Big Mac, no relish. They don't have to order in different buns and processed meat substitute, they just make you a standard burger, and don't put in relish.

It's not like asking Intel for a Pentium chip with a slightly different clock frequency:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back