Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer center tap secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's shorted with a high resistive ground with the wires disconnected from it.

Last edited:
The output is 11 vdc, it was 14vdc a couple of years ago.
I don't think a 12vdc battery will fully charge at 11 volts.
I have 14vac coming from both legs on the secondary.

You're not listening - you're probably not measuring it properly - does the charger work?. You mentioned a new meter, were the two readings from the exact same meter?.

Yes Nigel, readings are from the same meter.
The charger works but produces only11vdc.
I have about 10 meg from the cathode to the anode on the scr.
Solid short between the gate and cathode.

Yes Nigel, readings are from the same meter.
The charger works but produces only11vdc.
I have about 10 meg from the cathode to the anode on the scr.
Solid short between the gate and cathode.
If the charger works, why are you attempting to measure voltages from it? - measure it with a scope, not a meter.

When you say "the charger works" do you mean it charges a battery? If not, what does "works" mean?

Mike.

I used a volt meter to read the output of 14vdc in the past on this same charger.
Mike, it works to a point of producing 11 vdc, it's not dead just not putting out a full 14 vdc charging voltage.
There really aren't many components in this charger.
Considering I have14vac on the secondary something is causing a minor voltage drop beyond that.
The only thing I see as suspect is the scr, is an scr capable of a minor voltage drop like that if it isn't functioning properly?

I used a volt meter to read the output of 14vdc in the past on this same charger.
Mike, it works to a point of producing 11 vdc, it's not dead just not putting out a full 14 vdc charging voltage.
There really aren't many components in this charger.
Considering I have14vac on the secondary something is causing a minor voltage drop beyond that.
The only thing I see as suspect is the scr, is an scr capable of a minor voltage drop like that if it isn't functioning properly?

You're still not explaining what's happening? - when you connect it to a flat battery, what voltage does it charge the battery to - attempting to measure what's coming out of the charger with a meter is fairly meaningless.

It might be an idea to draw the schematic out, and post it on here, so we can try and work out what the scr might be doing?.

I don't have a flat battery but I connected it to a good battery with a little over 12vdc .
Put the charger on and the voltage is up to 13.6 vdc.
It is working completely so thanks for your input and patience.

Battery chargers with no smoothing capacitor are fine. They often have a quirk that the voltage with no load will be less than the voltage when a battery is being charged. That is because the battery keeps the voltage up during the times when the voltage from the transformer dips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back