Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transducer Conversion (Resistive to ICP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squintz

I have a String Potentiometer Transducer. Normally our Data Aquisition systems supply the voltage to these transducers with +v and -V lines and we receive a signal on our +sig and -Sig lines... But we recently have a new Data Aquisition which uses Constant Current Technology also known as ICP. Im not really sure how Constant Current works but i know that instead of 4 wires it uses only two wires which excites the transducer and returns the signal.

So what i want to do is convert my Resistive 4 wire transducer into a ICP (Constant Current) 2 wire transducer.

Does anyone know how i can so this?
An can anyone explain Constant Current to me?

The only ICP devices that I am even remotely familiar with (and I have only read about them) have piezoelectric transducers, and they use the current source to provide a bias current to the output buffer (generally a FET source follower). The output voltage can then be read off the same line that provides current to the buffer.
Check out **broken link removed**. Also, do a Google search on "icp constant current" (without the quotes).

What does your transducer measure?

CURRENT SOURCE

I think you want to say current source, so you must have a bridge and you get the differential for amplifying it! You could make it with opamps or specializaed and linearized IC's like the TEXAS XTR. I think that maybe answer your question. :roll:

Below is a possible two wire implementation. The biggest potential problem I see is that wire and wiper resistance are in series with the actual resistance to be measured. These can prpbably be calibrated out.

Attachments

• string_pot.GIF
    string_pot.GIF
    3.1 KB · Views: 652
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back