Traffic lights and push button

Baggo

Hi first time poster (hopefully I’m on the right place!)

My 9 year old son has a special interest in traffic lights, road signs and level crossings. He has been asking if we could make a traffic light with a push button (no pressure lol).

I was wondering if anyone could possibly point me in the right direction with maybe a wiring diagram with the components I’d need?

I’ve looked on YouTube but I can’t seem to find the right thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

There are dozens of simple circuits around using a 555 time and 4017 counter IC.

Example here:

To make it step only when a button is pressed, connect the button contacts in between pin 7 on the 555 and the junction of R2 and the speed pot P (which will allow it to step as long as the button is held in), or disconnect pin 7 and add the button with a 100 Ohm resistor in series across C1; that will only step each time the button is pressed.

The basic approach is a CD4017 Johnson Counter and a pushbutton switch. That gets you an electronic circuit that steps through a pattern with each button press. It has 10 outputs, and any of them can be used to reset the pattern. For example, the pattern can be shortened to only 3 stages with a simple wiring connection.

The 4017 has an input that is perfect for a simple pushbutton control signal. After that, it's all about the display. To start, how large? How many directions? Single little LEDs, small clusters of LEDs, etc?

ak

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…