Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Touch Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darragh3277

Hi all,

I'm looking to make a small circuit that can detect if it's in contact with skin. My goal is a bracelet/watch strap that can tell if its being worn by someone or not. Any ideas of where to start would be great. Thanks

I think the theory is based on skin capacitance.
I think the simplest of these type circuits take advantage of the potential between your body and the ground, which can be used to bias a mosfet, probably p-channel would work best here.

Another way of accomplishing what you are looking for might be motion sensing, usually when a watch is worn it moving around.

A few methods that come to mind:
Skin resistance - detected using simple current detector/amplifier
Body capacitance - detected using oscillator and either capacitive divider & measuring voltage or by checking the charge rate of the skin 'cap' compared to a reference cap
Body as antenna - use the body as an antenna and detect the rf signal (or even the 50Hz hum if worn inside/near powerlines).
Pressure sensor / mechanical switch - turns on when something pushes against it.

The skin resistance detection or body as antenna detection are simple to implement using a transistor

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back