Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tools (soldering iron, pcb etc) for surface mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

tickett

A good magnifying glass is the first thing I grab before my non-magnetic tweezers. and I've made smaller more complex one time pcb's using the toner method also. The latter would be up to your own ability, the challenge and as is to how many you need. As for "high voltage", anything over 20volts Dc is high for me :p there is quite a few videos on this and (dare I say it) other forums..... :) good luck

If you want to do them yourself, there needs to be an idea of quantity,

A modified toaster oven with ramp soak times is what you really want. Solder paste is effectively squeezed through a stencil, the components placed and you run the program and presto.

Some have done some SMT stuff using a frying pan.

Like KISS says, the amount of the boards you want to make is a key. If you are just for a one off, then all you need is patience, temperature-controlled iron, liquid flux and solder wick.

If you had one tough chip to do, you could get a stencil just for that package and Hot air is probably the way to go.

But if your making a more than a few boards, like 5 or so, you have the board house provide a Stencil of the entire board. You then clean, squeegee the solder paste and re-flow. If you take a look at some of the IC's there will in essence be a recommended temperature profile to use.

I would just be making a couple to start with.

I think I will pop to my local store to see if i can get the bits to try and etch the board. If i'm successful then i'll try and source the components along with patience, temperature-controlled iron, liquid flux and solder wick.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back