Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

too much RPM on a clothes dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

norberto fines

hi there,

does anyone know how to slow down the rpm of an induction motor used in a clothes drier. Someone gives me a used clothes drier . I immediately tested it and found out that after an hour, the clothes still has moisture. I later found out that when the tumbler spins, the RPM is too much that the centrifugal force keeps all the clothes sticking on the outer casing, thus preventing the hot air to pass through the clothes. I found out that the drier is designed to operate on 50hz. We are using 60 hz in our place. Is there any means to slow it down a little bit. The motor is 1/2 hp with centrifugal switch 4pole.
thanks, norbert

norberto fines said:
hi there,

does anyone know how to slow down the rpm of an induction motor used in a clothes drier. Someone gives me a used clothes drier . I immediately tested it and found out that after an hour, the clothes still has moisture. I later found out that when the tumbler spins, the RPM is too much that the centrifugal force keeps all the clothes sticking on the outer casing, thus preventing the hot air to pass through the clothes. I found out that the drier is designed to operate on 50hz. We are using 60 hz in our place. Is there any means to slow it down a little bit. The motor is 1/2 hp with centrifugal switch 4pole.
thanks, norbert
You cannot slow it effectively my electrical means. As the drum is almost certainly belt driven, the best way would be to reduce the pulley size.

The simplest way to change the speed of the dryer is, in fact, not electrical! Simply change the sprocket on the motor shaft for a smaller diameter one (I know it's not really a sprocket, but I can't think of it's proper name) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back