Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toilet flush detection via sound recognition MCU

Status
Not open for further replies.

daguri87

Hi,
I want to build a toilet flush detection system using sound recognition microcontroller.
Is that possible to build this??
I was goolging for hours..but only thing that i found is speech recognition libraries which I don't think its necessary.
Also, I was thinking..using MSP430 to convert toilet flusing sound digital value (12~16bits) than using comparator to compare the values (w/ previous saved value)
need some help here......

Last edited:
Why would you want to do this? Use a mechanical switch that's connected to the flushing mechanism. Using sound to detect the flushing is like a Rube Goldberg machine.

You might observe the FFT of a bunch of toilet flushes and see what the levels and frequency ranges are. Record that frequency range and amplitude and use that as a reference when running FFT on real toilet flushes. Not sure how accurate that would be though. Maybe time ranges too since some toilets start to sound different around the end of the flush.

Certainly beats simply triggering whenever there is a loud prolonged sound in the washroom since that coudl also be a blow dryer, or a shower.

Last edited:
If you're stuck with acoustic mapping, dkn's suggestion is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back