Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TLC5940 PWM control with LED drivers (ZXLD1360 / MT7201)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danrogers

Hi all. I am working on something that is really starting to frustrate me.

I have a Arduino hooked up running a TLC5940 works very nicely. I want to be able to use the PWM control of the TLC5940 to feed into the ADJ pins on the drivers, to allow me to dim them.

If I ground the ADJ pin on the drivers, the LED's go off as expected.

I currently have the following circuit hooked up, using a BC327.
Scan 124.JPG
It does work, but sending a write of 4095 to the TLC5940 should turn the lamp fully off but it does not. It seems that the transistor is not being driven hard enough? I have tried both a 10k (connected to 12v) and a 4.7k pulling up to 5v) but still the same results. I have also tried setting the TLC5940 to sink 10 & 20mA constant currents.

Also the PWM range does not seem sensible i.e. a write of anything <3500 appears to give no dimming effect, when approx 2000 should in theory be half brightness.

If anyone has some suggestions on how I can get this working I would be very appreciative :)

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2013/01/ZXLD1360.pdf
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2013/01/slvs515c.pdf

Hi Ron, thanks I will give that a go. I think it was included as there is a bridge rectifier between the lamp supply pins and the regulator chip, so didn't want to drive the ADJ pin below the local ground of the regulator chip? Do you think the voltage drop over the diode is causing the problem then?

Attached is photos of the lamp's driver PCB

ZXLD1360a.jpg

ZXLD1360b.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I think so. To turn the adjust pin off you need a voltage of 0.2 volts. With the diode the best you can probably do is about 0.7 volts. The ground feom the bridge and the chip ground should be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back