Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TIP42 help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyevancsu

im not sure i wired the transistor right but....i applied 9v to the emitter ( as the schematic says, i think) and measured 9v coming out of the base but only around .1v coming out of the collector, does this seem right or should there be a much higher voltage coming out of the collector? or did i wire it wrong...

regards,

ivan

since i only have the one tip42 already soldered i guess ill de-solder it to test it in your pic, thx for the help. But just to make sure, approximately how much should the voltage be comming out of the collector, maybe a guess ( the emmiter and base have around 8-9v).

If you only have one TIP42, you may soon have one dead TIP42 if you use Sebi's test circuit.
With no resistor to limit the collector current, this transistor could draw as much as 2.8 amps, dissipating 25 watts until it burns up unless you have a big heat sink on it.

Hey Ron,

in my test circuit is a small 12V 500mA bulb in collector... Maybe the symbol not international.

Sorry Sebi, I thought maybe it was a current meter. It would have been helpful to label it as you did the other components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back