Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Timer circuit/relay/solenoid gong machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylvanite

Hey all,

I'm coming to you with a simple circuit question - I know a little about EE from using Arduino, but not enough to have a glimmer of competency, so I really appreciate your help.

To clarify - I don't need a schematic, I just need a general solution. I can do the dirty work if I can just get some help figuring out where to start.

I'm working on an analog timer circuit that's going to be driving a solenoid eventually (it's whacking a gong). Here are the specifics:

- All analog, 24VDC source
- Variable timing ability of ~3 seconds - 1 hr (+/- 10%; thinking 4060 or 556?)
- I was thinking two timing modes (3 sec - 1 min, 1min - 1 hr) with a selectable switch. Could be interpreted as a "short" mode and "long" mode.
- Accurate to seconds is preferable, most important aspect is accurate regular intervals
- When the timer fires, I need an exact 70ms ON pulse to the solenoid (555 monostable?)

I know I can use a 555 to send pulses to something like a 4060 - the issue is getting the ranges I want.

TL;DR: How do I send a 12VDC 70ms pulse to a relay at regular intervals with variable timing between 3 seconds and an hour?

Thanks for your help!

-Nate

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

To do what you say an arduino if you can program them is probably the most practical way.

By any chance is your name natehall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back