Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Timed switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

I want to make a timed switch that 'Switched ON' at 18:00 and 'Switches OFF' at 24:00
How can i go abt the project?,
i guess i have to use 555 timers, a latch and a Relay...

Hi,

it takes a bit more than a 555 timer chip to achieve a 6hours delay.

Why not purchase a timer which plugs into mains and switches medium power loads according to setting?

Boncuk

it has an internal oscillator and dividers, if you read the thread i gave you teh link until last, you can see the diagram.
it uses a 3.2768 MHz crystal osciallator, you still can use 3.2768 KHz crystal if the accuracy is not so critical (may get fraction of a second/day variation).

ecconomical issue is depends on the need, if you want to make 100s of the same then you have to optimise manything, but if its only for a unit, it will cost less than 5$ for the components.

i got an idea; how would it be if i use IC4060?
would it be economical?

Yes, that will work, if accuracy is important, then you could use a crystal, as mentioned above, if not, then a resistor and capacitor will do.

Hi,

it takes a bit more than a 555 timer chip to achieve a 6hours delay.

Why not purchase a timer which plugs into mains and switches medium power loads according to setting?

Boncuk

That would be my choice. Most available inexpensive timers allow the user to set the time of day for On / Off operation. The problem with a circuit designed just as a timer for 6 hours on and 18 hours off is it needs to be started at the correct time and if anything interrupts it
then a restart is in order.

Most clock timers available for this commercially have a battery backup and pretty much just do their thing. They are also very inexpensive.

This example is about $13.00 USD and for the time and effort I doubt I could build it for that cost.

Ron

Last edited:
check the data sheet
CD4060 Datasheet pdf - CMOS 14 Stage Ripple-Carry Binary Counter/Divider and Oscillator - Intersil

its a 14 stage counter, so it counts 2^14=16,384 ripples then resets. you can make it to reset the counter at any count between this figure, since 1st 4 out puts are not terminated, no way to reset it before it counts 2^4=16 counts. so you can use this IC to count any number between 16 and 16,384. (any number that has its binary last 4 digits to be 0)

say if you want to make it reset after it counts 100, then write it in binary, (make sure the last 4digits always all four zeroz for the number you select), then connect the appropriate outputs that will give level high for the selected number via a AND gate and give it to reset input.

it has an internal oscilator, so that you can make it as a crystal oscillator and counter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back