Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Time critical operation

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the steps i need to avoid missing very time critical operations. For example the case of reading hall values and updating the switching table. Is it like i have to cut down all other functionality. In which interrupt should i put them to get the best performance? I know it is lacking lot of details but some guidelines will help me. How is it possible that normal software cannot do an RTOS can do it?

How is it possible that normal software cannot do an RTOS can do it?

You have it the wrong way round, 'normal' software is easily written to outperform an RTOS in such cases, an RTOS has to waste considerable processing power and resources just running itself.

But your question is so vague as to be meaningless, essentially though you use interrupts, and use higher priority ones (where available) for time critical routines.

How is it possible that normal software cannot do an RTOS can do it?

RTOS is also a written program.... If you are struggling with the coding, then you need to be more efficient!!

RTOS has to waste considerable processing power and resources just running itself.
back at '80-s couple of more experienced dudes in our school were creating the cropped OS v.-s from the MS-DOS 3.2 by leaving out misc. sub.-s to achieve "all in one (floppy)" utilities -- would be a bootable Flash or CD/DVD alternate for today -- . . . they managed something (1)50 ... (1)60 kB if i recall right (there might be an +100kB error -- about to remember a 30yo MSX diplay image)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back