Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thread lock for other purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hi,

Anyone use Thread Lock of any kind for anything other than screw threads?

I want to use some for securing a magnet to a flat piece of steel, and the magnet will be bolted down. The thread lock will hopefully prevent the magnet from rotating around the signal screw being used to hold it down.

What do you think?

I've tried using Loctite as an adhesive like your suggesting with little success. Loctite used to make an adhesive just for magnets, don't know if they still do. What about review mirror adhesive? It can be found at any car parts store. Maybe these will help -
na.henkel-adhesives.com/us/content.../237465_LT4914_with_web_links1486411.pdf

**broken link removed**

HI Ya MrAl, I use Loctite Blue (242) which is a removable grade for securing under scope mounts on rifles. I use it on the base screws but also a little under the base to form a bond and moisture barrier. We also used a high temperature epoxy (a resin and powder mix) to secure magnets in some special motors I worked with. If you want really secure as in about permanent then Loctite Red (271) is likely what you want. Been too long for me to recall the powder and resin mix we used. Something else which should work is what we called Brownell's Acraglass but for a small batch it likely isn't worth messing with but it would bond steel and when hard (cured) you could machine the stuff. Another good product was Devcon but not the 5 min version, the Devcon Steel Putty which we would add steel powder to.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back