Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

THread Expiration + AutoLock

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
You'd think there was some function that would auto-lock threads when a thread remains inactive for a certain period of time or when the latest post to a thread is past a certain age (like say a year) to prevent thread necromancy.

Once in a while I get legit posts to old threads like the magic switchbox (started by bill) and the 1 bit audio.

If the software has the ability I would suggest warning people about stale threads when they hit the quote or reply buttons.

This is a old stale thread. The last activity was 25 months ago. The original poster has not been active on the board for 15 months. Do you want to post a reply or cancel.

Perhaps refuse the ability to post to stale threads to new members.

Another idea would be to lock threads where the OP has not been on for some period of time.

Last edited:
I don't think they should be locked. Sometimes people post replys that are meaningless, as the OP is long gone, but once and a while someone will use the search feature and drag up an old one to ask a question about it or something. A warning as 3v0 suggested would be a good idea, I wonder if anyone has designed an add on like that?

The software can be modified according to that warning suggestion I think.

Consider audioguru's fm transmitter thread. That thread is open for everybody for whole future for posting their queries and suggestions. There's a lot of threads are there like that something posted by Electormaster also. Should be opened forever I mean. Also if a person wants to ask some doubts abt an old thread(schematics or something) while searching, it should be opened. It doesn't mean everytime that he is replying to an older query. He may be asking some doubts. Sometimes the OP himself may want to return back to his thread after a while.

Why the older threads are coming alive is a fresh poster don't know where to post his query. He don't know to create a thread. He simply click one existing thread and posts his query with a subtitle.

3v0's warning idea seems good.

Locking them would be good. If somebody dredges up an oldie, and has new questions, or an update, they could always start a new thread, and insert a reference link. If something has been in active for a while, the OP is probably done with it, and considers it complete and resolved.

Most of the replies to old threads, usually should have been a new thread anyway, almost like hijacking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back