Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thought I'd go for a lunch time walk in the park!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Or perhaps not! :D

River1_sml.jpg

Couldn't even get to Weatherspoons for breakfast (RHS between Boyes and Holland&Barret).

River2_sml.jpg

Flooding caused by Global Warming?
The experts say that if the warming is not stopped then all the world's coastal cities will be under water in 30 to 50 years.

The experts say that if the warming is not stopped then all the world's coastal cities will be under water in 30 to 50 years.

Well it's not coastal - in fact it's about as far as you can get from the sea in the UK.

It's the town of Matlock, Derbyshire - and the river Derwent has always been prone to flooding.

There's been a LOT of rain recently, and they have had to release water from the reservoirs (three of them), to prevent the bottom one (Lady Bower) releasing water itself, which would be uncontrolled - it has two massive 'plug holes' to bypass the dam once it gets too full.

Luckily, back in the 60's/70's they did a LOT of flood prevention work, and flooding the park is one of the schemes they implemented.

Listening to the radio at lunch time, it was like a nostalgia trip back to the area where I grew up, there was even a phone-in from someone in my old home village of Conisbrough where the River Don had flooded.
Nothing new in that though, the low lying part of Conisbrough often flooded, I have a book of old photos of the village and one of them shows the flooding in 1932, long before global warming had been invented.

JimB

Just get a gondola, then it'll be like Venice… Take the good woman up and down the high street a few times..

We don't live there, I just work there - and far enough away, and above, the river not to flood :D

Apparently there's been one fatality, a woman washed in to the river at Rowsley, about four miles upstream - her body was spotted by a rescue helicopter.

At the other end of the planet we have the opposite problem, currently over 100 bushfires on the East coast.

Mike.
BTW, if you've any spare rain we'll take it.

Last edited:
Might need to start stocking up on expanding foam, large trash bags, duct-tape and rope.....we are about 1600 feet from the ocean in both the East & West directions and just 40 feet above it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back