Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

This may amuse you... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkedallusion

I pulled a hairbrain stunt and I thought maybe you guys could get a slight laugh from my misfortune... I am a tattoo artist living in a small apartment. I decided to work on a client in my home, and preceeded to work on his piece for three hours. I put a dvd in my BRAND NEW television and was so concentrated on what I was doing I didn't even notice my t.v. slowly turn funny colors... GAUSSED!!!! So my question is, do I need to get a degaussing coil to erase my mistakes? If so, what's the cheapest place to get one? I know that the t.v. automatically degausses a small amount when you first turn it on (right?)- will this solve my problem over time? Please help!!!!!! :roll:

[Even if the voices are not real, they have some good ideas. ~Nora Ephron~]

you can build one useing magnet wire....i used to have a diagram to build one but have lost if this is a sony trinitron take it back look on the net if you are lucky .65 cents and you are there

try to unplug it for a night it might get back again.....
i did something like that with a large magnet when i was little.....it was so funny, but then i didint know how to make it back.....it was a funny experience

Simplest would be to use normal transformer without its core. Remove all the iron plates carefully and fit the coild on a piece of wood. This is the cheapest way to create a deguassing coil. Now run the transformer on normal AC voltage with secondary left open and move it in fornt of your TV screen.

I got an older radioshack bulk tape eraser from the TV studio where I work...and it basically degauses (demagnatizes) tapes so they can be resued. I have used this unit to degauss many screens, from tvs, video screens and computer screens. They are still available from RS for about $21 (i think). Pass this back and fourth across the screen about 5 inches away, and this should fix the color spots.

-Levi

Degaussing crt

A method i have used over the years to demagnetise crts is to use a quick heat soldering gun, switch on rotate around the crt walk back from receiver 6ft and sw gun off.. 8) the coil in the gun is your degaussing wand.

Normally never need additionally degaussing the CRT, because the TV have own circuit to handle these problem. Unfortunately since TV-s is remote-controlled this circuit work only when firstly plug into the wall-socket,because the PTC and degaussing coil connected before the switching circuit. Try unplug from wall-socket - as bogdanfirst wrote - for 30 min. , this time enough for PTC to cooling and plug in. For strongly magnetized CRT repeat this procedure 4-5 times. If this method no help, the PTC is damaged, change it. (low cost)

degaussing crt

Sebi said:
Normally never need additionally degaussing the CRT, because the TV have own circuit to handle these problem. Unfortunately since TV-s is remote-controlled this circuit work only when firstly plug into the wall-socket,because the PTC and degaussing coil connected before the switching circuit. Try unplug from wall-socket - as bogdanfirst wrote - for 30 min. , this time enough for PTC to cooling and plug in. For strongly magnetized CRT repeat this procedure 4-5 times. If this method no help, the PTC is damaged, change it. (low cost)

I have yet to see a colour tv receiver with the degaussing cct supplied by mains voltage before the sets power on/off sw dpdt.. the sequence of events being at sw on the 240v mains is applied to the receiver, the positor being cold & low resistance allows mains to flow through the coils situated around the perimeter of the crt demagnetising it, as the positor heats up it gradually goes high resistance reducing the voltage applied to the coils, due to the earths magnetic field this is necessary, moving a set from one room to another can cause impurity of the crt. It is common for some people to sw their set off via r/ctl to st/by for hours and even overnight, this facility was never intended for this, the set should be switched off at the tv sw regular so that the degaussing cct can come into play otherwise impurity may be present on the screen but may not be noticeable to some.

Bulk Tape Eraser

I use the bulk tape eraser for this job as Levi does, but be careful. A bulk tape eraser designed for reel-to-reel tapes (especially an older one made for 1/2" or 1" computer or video tape) can have a very powerful field, strong enough to permanently wreck the shadow mask in a picture tube. Keep it at least 5 inches away from the TV as he suggested, actually no closer that what is needed to affect the picture. Degauss while the TV is on so that you can immediately see the results. Turn any degaussing coil off when it is some distance from the TV so that the possible inductive spike that can result won't put a final "glitch" in the picture.

Dean

Quick & Dirty - use a permanent magnet - with defined poles - a slow arc sweeping near the screen area. The wrong pole will make it worse. Get it close then toggle it on/off a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back