Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thevenin & Norton Equivalent Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShiftyMongoose

Hi All,

I cant figure how the author of the paper got Figure B (Thevenin Equivalent) and Figure C (Norton Equivalent) from circuit in Figure A.

Please help explain.

Thanks All,
ShiftyMongoose

Attachments

• Termination Techniques for High-Speed Buses.pdf
    132.2 KB · Views: 3,160
  • Figure A.jpg
    Figure A.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Figure B.jpg
    Figure B.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Figure C.jpg
    Figure C.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 155
Page 3 of you referenced article explains how to determine the reflected, and termination voltages of a transmission line from the incident source voltage. These are then used to generate the Thevenin or Norton equivalent circuits.

Do you know, in general, how to generate Thevenin or Norton equivalent circuits of a network? In not, Google should help.

Dear Carl,

Page 5. I don't understand how Vth value is chosen to minimize Ioh.
The equation Vth = Voh(min) - Ioh(max)*(Rd+Zo) appears to have fixed current at Ioh at maximum value.
How then is Vth minimizing this current?

Regards,
ShiftyMongoose

Dear Carl,

About Figure B
I understand that the voltage at the end of the transmission line will be the incident voltage minus reflected voltage. So Vth = Vi-Vr
Also, after shorting the voltage source. Rth should be the parallel of Zo and Rt. Thus Rth = Rt//Zo

Not sure how this results in figure B.

Please help,
ShiftyMongoose

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back