Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thermal Pad is needed or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How to tell whether a thermal pad is needed or not from seeing mosfet datasheet. I want to put an H bridge on a Heat Sink. so for Electrical isolation I need Thermal pads, but some of the switches dont need becasue they have already insulated case and only thermal paste is fine. So how to tell?
For example refer these two Datasheets
Datasheet1

Look at the pinout. If it's connected to something, it has to be the same as a pre-existing electrical connection and thus will be listed alongside all the other pins.

One cannot tell from those datasheets if the case is "isolated", I have my doubts they are. That vendor does have isolated devices, called "ISO247" or "ISOPLUS247" packaging such as IXYJ 20N120C3D1 under "ISOPLUS" Technology.
See:
https://www.ixys.com/Documents/IXYS_Selectorguide_2015.pdf

The isolated MOSFET devices seem to have a part number with an "R" in them, like IXFR16N120P

Last edited:
You should be able to see it by inspection. If not, try an Ohmeter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back