Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thermal imaging as repair tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug

Any one here use a thermal imaging as a tool?
Most seem 400 to $600 I we old like one at a lower price.
I just work on things myself since retirement. I try to work on one repair a day....
Today working on bk 5491b and something shorted in the 5v line.
I realize any weak points or resistor would show hot spots.
Thought would be one of the 10 ics maybe shorted and I may be able to see it on the trace going to it.
I have search the Web which is endless on this subject
. One utube had a kit for $110.
Anyway would like to here from someone who uses a thermal imaging for trouble shooting.

I realize any weak points or resistor would show hot spots.

I suppose it would be handy for certain types of failures where things are consuming too much current and getting hot, but there are probably just as many failures that would end up stone cold (like the above failure after you wait a while and it burns up).

Trying to avoid smoke method.
In past normally I would try external power supply limit current and feel for heat.
I like the cell phone camera. .I double check mine ..it doesnt have it..
Great info
Doug

We have been using the Fluke thermal camera for several years. At the time it was very expensive since there were not many.
You can certainly find them cheaper now but it is definitely a useful tool which has paid for itself may times( I am involved in commercial Avionics).
Detecting shorts is definitely the most useful, although it may take a while to get used to reading problem vs normal heat signatures based on your circuit.
Detecting components shorts, multi-layer PCB leakage and Memory bank cards are some of our uses.

I like idea on the cell phone with thermal imaging which is not much more than
harbor freight tool..but if I buy a new cell phone I'll have to buy my wife a new cell phone to.
I have seen them in use before in electrical troubleshooting.
I appreciate all the responses
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back