Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The UK on the list of the worst places to be a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero999

Banned
**broken link removed**
Britain
The problem: Smoking, drinking, and getting pregnant.
The cause: Kids in Britain, while far better off than most children in the developing world, are in shockingly bad shape compared with their counterparts in other high-income countries. According to a recent U.N. report, Britain is the worst nation for children among 21 economically advanced countries around the world. The report found that Britain ranks worst in the number of kids who smoke, abuse alcohol and drugs, have unprotected sex, and get pregnant at a young age. It also found that kids in Britain have poor relations with their parents and friends, and that nearly a third have no desire to do anything but unskilled work. What’s more, 3.8 million kids in Britain are living in poverty, despite extensive government antipoverty efforts.
What needs to be done: Britain has launched an initiative called Sure Start aimed at improving the lives of children. The goal of the program is to raise the overall quality of life for kids through parental counseling, day-care services, and health and prevention education. Critics have charged that it’s ineffective, but Prime Minister Gordon Brown continues to champion the plan.

Apparently we're next to India on the world's worst places to be a kid.

I can't remember it being that bad, although things seemed to slide going through puberty but isn't htat normal?

Well at least they have a sense of humor.
The report found that Britain ranks worst in the number of kids who smoke, abuse alcohol and drugs, have unprotected sex, and get pregnant at a young age. It also found that kids in Britain have poor relations with their parents and friends, and that nearly a third have no desire to do anything but unskilled work. What’s more, 3.8 million kids in Britain are living in poverty, despite extensive government antipoverty efforts.
**broken link removed**

That is not a very comprehensive list. However, myself and my family left the UK 7 years ago because of the way we saw it heading. It has surpassed our worst fears and seems to be heading lower. How on earth that idiot Gordon got in charge is beyond me. The really amazing thing is that I would not be surprised if he was reelected. :eek:

Mike.
Note to moderators, Gordon is a moron but he is not a member here.

hi Bill,:)

You dont really think that guy is funny.:confused:

I did type a longer post giving my version why our youngsters are such troll's, but to avoid a libel suite I have deleted it.!!

EDIT: Mike this may be useful: https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/minced-oath.html

Last edited:
Actually I like the Little Britain TV series. It's just so bizarre. The naked fat suits are funny.

I really like Red Dwarf & Fawlty Towers, can't get the girlfriend to watch them though. She does like Little Britain though.

Eric,

I was just making sure I wasn't accused of calling another member an idiot or a moron. Or, are you suggesting that Gordon is in fact a member.:D:eek:

Edit, someone made a site - **broken link removed**

Mike.

Last edited:
Eric,

I was just making sure I wasn't accused of calling another member an idiot or a moron. Or, are you suggesting that Gordon is in fact a member.:D:eek:

Mike.

If you use the 'olde worlde' meaning of member, the answer is yes.:)

I have an uncle who moved to Australia about 18 years ago and misses the UK now.

My sister travelled around Australia for a few months and enjoyed but didn't go and live there.

I like Fawlty Rowers and Red Dwarf, some Little Britain is good but I didn't like the US version much though.

It also found that kids in Britain have poor relations with their parents and friends, and that nearly a third have no desire to do anything but unskilled work. What’s more, 3.8 million kids in Britain are living in poverty, despite extensive government antipoverty efforts.

Wow this really explains a lot about some of the UK regulars here and why the get so wound up over stupid stuff! Poor communications skills and no intentions of ever learning anything thats above them! Let alone being willing to actually work on something that could take actual money to accomplish!:(
Glad the other 2/3 of them here didn't take this path!:)

That theory would make sense ignoring the fact that the "Nazi moderator" who as good as threatened to delete your "inverter crap" if you posted it outside your thread is Australian.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
**broken link removed**

Apparently we're next to India on the world's worst places to be a kid.

I can't remember it being that bad, although things seemed to slide going through puberty but isn't htat normal?

How old was that clip?

Britain has launched an initiative called Sure Start

Sure Start has been going for years, a normal government scheme whereby schools get allocated money (at Sure Start's discretion) and have to waste it on something they don't want, or lose it all together.

As with all these schemes, if they gave the schools the money in the first place it would stop Sure Start creaming loads off the top, and allow the schools to do what's needed with it.

My daughter's just finished school, my wife works in a reception class (4-5 year olds), I teach Ju Jitsu to a wide range of ages. There's not a lot wrong with most kids today - as always, a tiny minority make the rest look bad.

Incidently, today is A-level results day - Melissa got AABD - she's now got a confirmed place at York University doing a Masters in Chemistry :D

October 11th, and off she goes! :eek:

Maybe the UK problem has bleed over effects!:eek:
Actually their are a few others that fit my comment more. He just sort of happened to be the most recent one. Bad day maybe? :(

Some times it just happens. Some people tend to be closed minded about odd subjects for no rational reason or just pick a subject they know very little about and go off the deep end against it even if their actions ultimately end up making them appear grossly ignorant of the subject and ultimately less creditable else where as well. All mouth and opinion but no brain or real knowledge of the actual subject and little interest in ever learning the truth about it either.:(
They may or may not actually be as ignorant and stupid as they sound but an controlled fit can definitely make a normally rational and intelligent person seem other wise. And with continual outbursts and fits relating to a very narrow subject or topic will only make them look that much worse.
Ive done it and so has every one else and its not a proud moment looking back on it but it does and will happen again. :(

What this short article brings up is relative in the sense that it does show how a persons attitudes and actions as a child during their developing years will often be what locks in what eventually becomes their adult mind set and work ethics. Lazy, rude, and spoiled kids become lazy self grandeiseing and arrogant adults. Once they reach adulthood few ever will turn back from it or even realize what they are or represent in general.:(

Fortunately my local culture still pushes hard to to give our children good solid moral foundations and solid educations that will yield typically good character and work ethics. Some do fall though the cracks but far more excel as positive and productive adults.
It very common knowledge that people raised in my region of the country have what are considered outstanding work ethics, intelligence and overall good communications skills as well. Many of my friends and associates do seasonal work in other parts of the country and they say all you need to do is prove you were raised in this region and your hired! They typically are the top paid workers within a very short time and hold higher levels of responsibility than most other workers from else where as well.
Continual accounts similar to this from countless people who were raised here keeps us pushing to stay better than the average American level presently is sits at.
We are not perfect by any means but we try to be a bit better and more open minded than most! ;)

There's not a lot wrong with most kids today - as always, a tiny minority make the rest look bad.
It depends on where you live.

On council estates where 90% of the parents are on benefits there's a big problem. In more affluent areas, it's less of a problem.

Incidently, today is A-level results day - Melissa got AABD - she's now got a confirmed place at York University doing a Masters in Chemistry :D
Congratulations on the As and B, commiserations on the D, I hope it wasn't an important subject.

I take it that you live in a fairly well off area and your daughter went to a good school?

The problem is that in posh areas the children do well because the schools are good, in poor areas the children don't do so well because the schools are poor. I dson't think the government has helped with league tables because they help the worst schools get worse as parents turn their children away so they get even less funding making them worse.

On council estates where 90% of the parents are on benefits there's a big problem. In more affluent areas, it's less of a problem.

The problem is that in posh areas the children do well because the schools are good, in poor areas the children don't do so well because the schools are poor. I dson't think the government has helped with league tables because they help the worst schools get worse as parents turn their children away so they get even less funding making them worse.

Why is it whenever the point about unacceptable behaviour in our children is raised, its linked to the quality or the lack of it in schooling.

Its the parents responsiblity, not the schools, to ensure their children are taught good manners and what behaviour is expected from their children.

As with everything.

Congratulations on the As and B, commiserations on the D, I hope it wasn't an important subject.

It was Music Technology :p which considering she's an excellent musician, a qualified recording engineer, plays multiple instruments and sings, reads and writes music, and is an instructor for all kinds of music based activities at another school, is a bit disappointing :D

However, AS level results were poor, across the entire country, and the Music Tech teachers couldn't even suggest why the examiners were marking low.

This is only the second or third year the course has run, and it's produced disappointing results each year - from next year the course is been completely restructured, reducing the workload to about 20-25% what it is now.

Melissa hasn't even been to a lesson for over a year, she didn't need a good result in it, as her offer from York was BBB (standard offer is AAB), so it was a really good offer. She got A's in Chemistry and Maths, and a B in Further Maths.

I take it that you live in a fairly well off area and your daughter went to a good school?

No, we live in an old mining area, listed as a deprived area, and the previous school she went to has been in special measures, and is actually closing next year - basically because the council want to sell the land to build houses on.

That school didn't have a sixth form, so she had to go elsewhere for that, and went to a more affluent area in the town where I actually work.

Here's the first part of their new OFSTED report:

Deincourt Community School is smaller than most secondary schools. The roll has
fallen significantly since its last inspection. Most students are White British, with a
few from other minority ethnic backgrounds. A very small proportion of students are
learning English as an additional language. A higher than average proportion of
students are eligible for free school meals. The proportion of students who find
learning difficult, including those with a statement of special educational needs, is
very high. The number of students joining the school during the school year is higher
than average. Students enter the school in Year 7 with standards which are often
well below average. The school is designated as an extended school and holds a
number of awards, including Investors in People, Artsmark, Healthy School status
and the International School Bronze award. The school is also part of the National
Challenge initiative to raise standards.
At the time of the last inspection, the school was judged as requiring special
measures. As a result it was subject to termly monitoring visits to evaluate its
progress against the areas for improvement. An acting headteacher was appointed in
January 2008. She became the associate headteacher in September 2008 of the ‘soft’
federation of the school with Tibshelf School, under the leadership of an executive
headteacher.

The league tables has been a disaster for all concerned, the school she was at got poor results, because they generally get the poorer performing kids, and also take the poorer kids from the higher performing schools because they get a better education there. Melissa left with 14 GCSE's, most of them A's - we had no problem with the school, and my wife is now a governor there.

Its the parents responsiblity, not the schools, to ensure their children are taught good manners and what behaviour is expected from their children.

Finally the truth is told. I see this everyday. The majority of my class is good mannered, but then there is the class clowns. They think the sun shine out of their back.

The teacher will tell them to sit and do their work, but they just ignore the teacher and carry on with what they are doing. The result is they get behind in the work.

That is why some kids do better than others.

Finally the truth is told. I see this everyday. The majority of my class is good mannered, but then there is the class clowns. They think the sun shine out of their back.

The teacher will tell them to sit and do their work, but they just ignore the teacher and carry on with what they are doing. The result is they get behind in the work.

That is why some kids do better than others.

Hi,
I have to say that the majority of children and young people I have met in RSA have been respectful and well mannered.:)

I even have trouble getting middle aged people in SA to call me by my first name, its either Sir or Uncle Eric.

As you say, its just the odd rotten apple that causes most of the hassle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back