Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The transformerless supply question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way way back before transistors were popular, we only had tube radios and amplifiers. My interest in electronics back then was not much different than today so i naturally wondered about how they worked. One big difference though is that they used HUGE dc buss voltages. I mean 400 or 500vdc power rails, not plus and minus 15 volts. Needless to say one day in the basement i accidentally touched a 400vdc supply rail (dont remember exactly what i was doing at the time other than just playing around with a tube amplifier). I think it knocked me out for a few seconds, but obviously im still around to tell about it.
Thats how we all learned are lessons back in the day.

I did think about the charity case idea, for a while it had merit. Then I thought but in that scenario it would mean they had to let him loose with a broom! So I did a search on the net and nowhere can I find question's like the following

1) I have a broom with 600 bristle's and the guy next to me has 500, WHY, why would you need 600 bristles and can you give me 100 examples of where 600 bristle on my broom is better than 500.

2) In the manual for my broom it says it has an attachment point for a duster, can I use the duster instead of the broom when I sweep up? Should I use the 500 bristles or the 600 bristles head? Why do they have dusters on brooms? when would you use the duster instead on the broom? Can you give me 100 examples of when a duster is better than a broom for sweeping

3) The broom tech next to me say's when sweeping a tiled floor you should always sweep from the back to the front, my manager say's to sweep from the front to the back! How do you sweep on a tiled floor? why do you do it that way?
If I use the duster on the broom should i sweep back to front or front to back? The manual dosnt say anything except sweep the foofing floor, Can you give me 100 examples of when you personally would sweep back to front and front to back. On a tiled floor do you use front to back or back to front??? Have you tried this with the duster?

4) We also have a mop, why should I use the broom instead of the mop? Whats the mop for? what advantage does the mop have over the broom when sweeping the floor? I tried sweeping with the mop and it didnt work, why? The tech next to me always uses the mop and it works for him, why didnt it work for me? Why dosnt the mop have a fitting for a duster?

So in the absence of these question's I decided he didnt work somewhere willing to let him loose with a broom. In the end I decided he was a idiot savant with the savant bit missing.
Now that is funny.
I can't believe you took all the time to analysis sweeping the floor, per dedication.

Now that is funny.
I can't believe you took all the time to analysis sweeping the floor, per dedication.

The curse or blessing or an inquiring mind and the compulsion of needing to know detail because of my OCD, I make my OCD seem bad but it isnt, I dont wash my hands 1000 times an hour, I dont watch for cracks in a path. I do however keep lists and have to be methodical, I also now by quirk have to be untidy, I was very tidy but it became an issue so instead tried to make sure I wasnt tidy! Now that is going to far, so maybe I will strike tidiness of my list of things to pay attention to.
It may seem odd/mad to some but Genius and madness share the mother just different fathers. It took me a very long time to work that out.

WARNING THE FOLLOWING WILL MAKE YOU WET YOURSELF!

For a laugh read the this from our friend, it was posted today

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=96328&page=3

Ok you might think it reasonable under some circumstances that he wouldnt know that, however this was posted a few day's/week or so before he posted that today

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=96327&page=4

Note I clearly spell out RTFM and note the response and link by someone else to what it means. Now tell me he can read

Yep he is still fun to read, had just about everything I could do not to say anything.
Wounder if he is still testing boards by blowing them up?

With the forgiveness of TVtech for further dragging his thread "off topic"...

A further thought just occured to me regarding our "prevoiusly banned member", he/she is not a person at all but an "it".
A machine, someones artficial intelligence experiment.
Does this hypothesis make sense?
There are questions and responses, but much of the time there is no real connection between the two.

Is this some kind of cruel "Turin test"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test

JimB

Yes sorry for derailing.
Back on topic.
So the best thing to do is tell them about the dangers and make it very clear, and then proceed with some circuit theory.
Thats how we all learn.
Its just somethings are more dangerous then others.
Driving is dangerous, it can kill you and others but yet we still teach our kids how to drive and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Hi 4pyros

That's why I said very early in this thread banning discussion on something like a simple Transformerless PSU's just makes people more curious...
Way better to allow the discussion so people learn the dangers and also see where they can really work well. And safetly.

The Aircraft electronic's repair thing is another matter altogether. Luckily ETO does not allow that anymore. Wise move.
Lots of Members here got involved and realized that no good would come of it.....including it being a waste of Members time and the potential dangers of trying to help a "bot"....maybe.

Anyway, Dexter(Billy) is over there now and using up a lot of their time. Sooner or later the novelty will wear off.

Regards,
tvtech

Looks some of dads posts got removed! annoying how he gets censored for telling the truth, I of course am still banned :D.
I think I am done over there.

Some great people over there, but some serious question's on some of the mod decision's. It's so obvious when someone makes a mistake then tries to cover it up by crazy deleting of posts that dont follow the party line. I think it dents credibility when you have to delete things because you dont agree or because they make your decision's look daft.
So strange how the same person can cause the same trouble for over 8 years!!! And yet every new site thinks they will be the one that succeeds where others fail. Then when its clear you backed the wrong horse all you can do is delete posts that point out your error of judgment.
IF I made mistakes I would probably admit to them, luckily I am not in that position:D. Thats a direct quote from a while back from mum lol

Looks some of dads posts got removed! annoying how he gets censored for telling the truth, I of course am still banned :D.
I think I am done over there.

LOL LG.

In my wandering days in the darkness of Jan 2014..I felt like a lost soul. Crazy stuff.
Came to my senses and realized I belong here.

And so do you. There is so little crap here and "smartness proving" like other Forums out there.

Here, you are what you are, and people here respect/understand/know you the way you are. No need to impress anybody.

Amazing place is ETO. All the Technical knowledge is here...but given gently and not pushed down peoples throats.

I have always said a gathering of good people who understand each other.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
I had some posts deleted from one of his threads over there, and got a warning to stay out of them, otherwise I would get a ban.

Dad kind of got warned I got a couple of bans, the trouble is when you start banning people for troll baiting/beating and keep the troll it dosnt look good.
Obviously mods will disagree and entitled to do so, but for me I get a better feel out of places where members eat the trolls alive than places that try and protect them. Cant put my finger on it but seems odd that people think they can succeed where everyone else has failed over 8 years! I dont know it just seem's a bit up yourself to think like that:facepalm:.
I am a member of a MCU forum that isnt like most electronics forums, its pretty much Q&A and very sort of Engineer like, but they have a section where the tech's and engineers of this company let there hair down with the products once a month, and it keeps the place from being grey. My sole purpose there though is to ask technical stuff on specific chips they make, plus I read alot of the posts to learn from. This place is more.. it's more of a breeding ground for knowledge and thinking, I get alot of my ideas from what others say or dont say here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back