Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The MCP4261 become hot after used half hour, what's wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laoadam

I am using MCP4261 controlled by MEGA2560, it work well, and meet my need by the sketch, the first one burnt some time, and the second one I count the time become hot just half hour after power on.
POST26.1.JPG

Attachments

• post26.JPG
    post26.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I think that a bit more information is needed here.
Is J1 the MCP4261 ?
The pinout shown for J1 does not match the pinout for the MCP4261. but if you are connecting the pins as numbered to the MCP4261, that should be OK.
What is the MCP4261 being used for?

What is the MCP being used for?
How hot does it get?
What resistance is it?
Is the MEGA running at 5V?

Mike.

What loads do you have attached to pins 6 and 9?

How hot does it get?
What resistance is it?

Mike.
Thank you Mike,
How hot does it get?
burnt the breadboard.

The MCP used to get analog voltage to control LED.

What resistance is it?
The DAC is 10K,

Yes.

The load are two LED.
So you might be using the lowest resistance. 5k ??
---edited----
Data sheet: Max current in POT is 2.5mA. How much current in your LED. Not what the LED is rated for but what is the real current.

Last edited:
To get your LEDs to light the resistance will have to be very low. If you write 1 to the resistance value then it will be 40Ω and a current of 3/40 = 75mA will flow. This will destroy your LED(s)- assuming normal 20mA ones. A setting of 4 will reduce the current to less than 20mA and your LED(s) will survive. However, the chip will be dissipating 1/4W - assuming both resistors used. And, that is why it's getting hot. You cannot drive LEDs directly from these devices.

Mike.

Post deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back