Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The highest frequency that can be counted of AT89S51?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddykurniawan

I make a 2-channel AT89S52-based frequency counter (Microcontroller for better live: Microcontroller-based 2 Channel Frequency-Meter). I use timer 0 and 1 as counter. Referred to the datasheet, the timer can count the maximum incoming frequency at 1/12 of clock frequency operation. In fact, if we use 12 MHz clock frequency, it only can count maximum 912 kHz incoming frequency. If we change the clock frequency to 24 MHz, it only can count maximum 912 kHz incoming frequency too. Whereas, referred to the datasheet, the maximum incoming frequency should up to 2 MHz (1/12 of 24 MHz).
Why the incoming maximum frequency 912 kHz?
Please, give me an explanation!
How can we build a 2 MHz AT89S52-based frequency counter?

I went to the link and found out that the part is already running a 24 MHz. I'm guessing it has to do with the way ATMEL implements double speed operation, with selectable dividers all over the place to maintain compatibility with the original architecture.

Have you read the ATMEL datasheet very very carefully to know if this is possible?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back