Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The differend between the PIC 16F628 and the PIC 16f628A ? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cees

I start a new course and there has been used the PIC 16F629A. I have 2x PIC 16F628 in stock. Can I use these PIC's. In other words, these two are completely compatible PIC?

with kind recards

Cees

Last edited:
Check the datasheets.

already did, but the question remains: can I just use the 628 as the 628A in the diagrams of the course is?

Essentially, yes. They are pin compatable, however, they don't just put an 'A' after it for nothing. Depending on what code you are using, they 'might' behave differently.
*Caveat. I'm basing my reply on the title of the thread.

Last edited:
Thanks for your fast answer, I think it is better to take no risk and buy the A version.

What's the difference, it remains a mystery to me.

Last edited:
Have a look at the 16F628 "errata" document from Microchip;
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/12/80073f.pdf

There were some issues with the 628 that forced them to do some significant redesign and make the 628A. From memory I think there was a bad issue with the special LVP (low voltage programming) mode, but that is not an issue if you use a normal Vpp PIC programmer. The errata pdf will explain all the problems with the 628.

Hi, Now it is clear to me, I understand from this that at 5 Volts programming there are no problems and that is the case with me. Finally someone with fuiste information, thanks for that

I can't say I've ever heard that, but it could well be true?.

However, the A versions are simply a later silicon revision - I suspect it's mostly just using a later (and cheaper) manufacturing technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back