Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

the cheapest way to produce a shielded box

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacIntoshCZ

I would like to make some shielded boxes for several diy PSUs. Do you have any idea whats cheapest way to do it? If I buy a metal plate, the box itself will be more expensive than all electronics

For custom metal fabricating I make use of the Tin 1Kg coffee containers, easy to work if you have tin shears etc, also easy to solder.
The non-ribbed can is preferable.

I used to love building small projects in tobacco tins, ideal for small preamps and RF projects. You could solder the ground lugs of tag strips inside the can, and build the projects on the tag strips, with ground connections direct to the can itself. Or often, just solder the components to the can, and do all the wring free form in the air inside.

You could make a larger case just by soldering PCB sheets together, it's always been a fairly common technique - again, particularly for preamps and RF.

Another method I use for circuit boxes, is the food containers from Dollar Store with the interlocking lid closures.
They could be sprayed internally and externally with conductive circuit paint.

How good tinfoil can block radiation? If a remember i tried once to cover smartphone with tinfoil and play music from youtube. It not works. Wifi still worked

How good tinfoil can block radiation? If a remember i tried once to cover smartphone with tinfoil and play music from youtube. It not works. Wifi still worked

If you use tinfoil (only useful to stop mind reading) you need to really have a solid metallic absolutely continuous contact on all edges. Any small air gap is a slot antenna at several GHz and the signals will travel as surface waves (aka wave-guide) around the shielding.

I also found mesh with 2*2mm squares for bees managing. Is there any calculator how much db will it block at certain frequncy?

Last edited:
It should pretty much block anything with a wavelength more than twice the hole size, I believe.

2mm holes are about what's used in microwave oven doors to allow visibility of the contents.

Conductive spray coatings -

Google "spray coating emi"

Regards, Dana.

Altoids used to be popular for small audio / RF projects. Not sure if they are even sold today.

Altoids used to be popular for small audio / RF projects. Not sure if they are even sold today.
You can buy the tins on Ebay - new without the contents (and I suspect available elsewhere).

Search for 'Altoids mints sized tin'
Altoids tin.jpg

How did you prevent YouTube from buffering the entire song before you finished wrapping your phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back