Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The best universal adapter for my soundcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

sitter07

I bought a sound card that needs external power, but it didn't came with it. I can't find the right one on the current marked and i don't want to burn it with the wrong one (of course)

On the back it says 9-18V DC, 5W. How to achieve 5w?

all I'm finding is something like this (its in Germany but you can read the values) :

Thank you

How to achieve 5w?
You don't achieve 5W, The device which is taking power simply takes what it needs.

Your sound card requires between 9 and 18 volts, with a maximum power of 5 Watts.
So the current could be anywhere between 0.55Amps and 0.277Amps, the internal power system in the sound card will sort that out for itself.

Looking at the Power Supply which you linked, it states:
Leistungsstark: max. 27W/max. 2250mA über alle Spannungsbereiche 3V/4,5V/5V/6V/7,5V/9V/12V.

In English,
it will provide a MAXIMUM of 27 Watts,
it will provide a MAXIMUM of 2250mA
the output voltage can be set to one of 3V/4,5V/5V/6V/7,5V/9V/12V.
(How to set the voltage it does not say, I guess that there is a little switch on the side with the mains connector).

So, it your case, if you set the power supply output to 12v, and connect it to your sound card, the power supply will be able to supply the 0.27 to 0.55 Amps that the sound card requires.
Just be careful to ensure that the polarity (+/-) is correct.

JimB

You don't achieve 5W, The device which is taking power simply takes what it needs.

Your sound card requires between 9 and 18 volts, with a maximum power of 5 Watts.
So the current could be anywhere between 0.55Amps and 0.277Amps, the internal power system in the sound card will sort that out for itself.

Looking at the Power Supply which you linked, it states:
Leistungsstark: max. 27W/max. 2250mA über alle Spannungsbereiche 3V/4,5V/5V/6V/7,5V/9V/12V.

In English,
it will provide a MAXIMUM of 27 Watts,
it will provide a MAXIMUM of 2250mA
the output voltage can be set to one of 3V/4,5V/5V/6V/7,5V/9V/12V.
(How to set the voltage it does not say, I guess that there is a little switch on the side with the mains connector).

So, it your case, if you set the power supply output to 12v, and connect it to your sound card, the power supply will be able to supply the 0.27 to 0.55 Amps that the sound card requires.
Just be careful to ensure that the polarity (+/-) is correct.

JimB
Thank you for your answer. Between this one and those 2:

Which one should be the best one?

also here is the picture of the back of the soundcard, when its come to polarity on which side to i turn the plug?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    348.6 KB · Views: 147
Which one should be the best one?

Either of them will do the job, but the APS1000 has a lower current rating (1000mA) but is capable of providing the 550mA required by the sound card. And it is cheaper.

here is the picture of the back of the soundcard, when its come to polarity on which side to i turn the plug?
A very good question.

The text on the soundcard says "tip + or -"
It could be that the designer of the soundcard anticipated problems with people making the wrong connection and damaging the card.
So he spent an extra $0.5 and included a rectifier so that the polarity does not matter, it will work either way around.

What do others here on the forum think?

JimB

Either of them will do the job, but the APS1000 has a lower current rating (1000mA) but is capable of providing the 550mA required by the sound card. And it is cheaper.

A very good question.

The text on the soundcard says "tip + or -"
It could be that the designer of the soundcard anticipated problems with people making the wrong connection and damaging the card.
So he spent an extra $0.5 and included a rectifier so that the polarity does not matter, it will work either way around.

What do others here on the forum think?

JimB

Thank you Jim, going to shopping right away :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back