Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thats a fast reverse gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a BMW i3 by the look of things - it should in theory be able to go as fast in reverse as forwards being an electric vehicle.

It is a BMW i3 by the look of things - it should in theory be able to go as fast in reverse as forwards being an electric vehicle.

In theory? In theory, a car with an internal combustion engin should be able to go as fas in reverse as forward as well. What slows it down? The same thing that slows electric vehicles - gearing for an ICE, or throttle sensitivity on an EV because people don't want to try to hold the pedal at 1/130th of a pedal press to go 1 mph in reverse.

In theory? In theory, a car with an internal combustion engin should be able to go as fas in reverse as forward as well. What slows it down? The same thing that slows electric vehicles - gearing for an ICE, or throttle sensitivity on an EV because people don't want to try to hold the pedal at 1/130th of a pedal press to go 1 mph in reverse.
We've got a BMW hybrid - it has around 87bhp from the electric and another 180bhp from the petrol engine - it is pretty nippy just on the electric. I can't remember if it goes through the autobox on the electric but if it did then you'd be limited to the maximum speed of the electric motor in reverse. I'm pretty sure it is a direct(ish) drive though so the reverse in electic *could* give you the same speed as it does in drive. I would suspect that BMW have restricted the maximum speed in reverse though electronically.

The Mercedes hybrid we had before on the other hand fed the electric drive through the normal gearbox - I remember his as we had a gearbox fault and it would rip your neck off on the gearchange in slow moving traffic. This would then restrict your reverse speed to the maximum allowed by the single reverse ratio in the gearbox / electric motor max rpm.

From a quick read up, the i3 has no tranmission but is electronically limited to 50kph in reverse - it does appear to get there quite rapdily though ;) https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3803

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back