Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confirmed Text in code tag is not monospaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
CODE: Sure enough,it isn't WYSIWYG
when I typed the below, the font was fixed spaced and looked OK. When previewed it's not. The test was to use digits which are always fixed proportion and alpha which is not.

Since I cant use the NOPARSE tag, I'll have to try to explain: I typed something like:

CODE tag
abcefghijklmnopqrs
CODE tag

and the s lined up with the 6. It doesn't when shown in the forum. Incidently it shows up correct when you try to edit the post.

Code:
abcefghijklmnopqrs

PS: I do believe the default font used in this new rendition is different than the old VB. I did like the old font better.

Last edited:
hi Al,
For the FONTS selection, look at the a/a symbol just to the right of the A/A symbols on the Menu bar on the posting a reply box.
Select the Font first before you type or select all the text and the use a/a
Eric

Hi Eric,

See what happens:

Code:
CIRCUIT 1:

v
  +----R1----+----R2----+
  |                    |
  E1                    E2
  |                    |
  +----------+----------+
              |
              o
            GND

Attachments

• pt1.gif
    pt1.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 477
MrAl
I've been trying to get it across too that the code tags and code editor dont work right because the fonts change once you actually allow the text to be entered. It seems that it does not know what the font is even when you tell the primary editor what it should be, or else it just messes up the spaces for some reason. I've seen the same thing happen on other forums when the software was changed. The code tags never work right at first.

Yep, it doesnt seem to be able to present to the user what the Font size is or the text color. I said that earlier in this thread. Highlighting a piece of text and selecting the font icon or the color icon, SHOULD tell me somehow which one it is.

Other forums tend to mess up spaces, I think, because of some software thing that removes multiple spaces and reduces to one. It's painful when you want to use ASCII ART to illustrate something. The leading spaces get hit the hardest.

Numbers in any font are fixed proportions, so column of numbers line up.

Interesting. If you compose something using TEXT mode as suggested and that didn't seem to be WYSIWYG

For giggles I changed the font to courier new. I also had to remove the s in the example and composed with the normal interface.

Code:
abcefghijklmnopqr

So, that seemed to work.

There is another bug then. If that ICON is supposed to be TEXT, then TEXT should always be displayed in a fixed font.

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monospaced_font

Wikipedia said:
Even though computers can now display a wide variety of fonts, the majority of IDEs and software text editors employ a monospaced font as the default typeface. This increases the readability of source code, which is often heavily reliant on distinctions involving individual symbols. Monospaced fonts are also used in terminal emulation and for laying out tabulated data in plain text documents. In technical manuals and resources for programming languages, a monospaced font is often used to distinguish code from natural-language text.

So, the TEXT icon is another bug.

Last edited:
Text editor test 1, using Courier New:

CIRCUIT 1:

v
+----R1----+----R2----+
| |
E1 E2
| |
+----------+----------+
|
o
GND

CIRCUIT2:

v
o----R1----+
|
E1
|
GND o----------+

CIRCUIT 1:

v
+----R1----+----R2----+
| |
E1 E2
| |
+----------+----------+
|
o
GND

CIRCUIT2:

v
o----R1----+
|
E1
|
GND o----------+

Code:
CIRCUIT 1:

v
   +----R1----+----R2----+
   |                     |
   E1                    E2
   |                     |
   +----------+----------+
              |
              o
             GND

CIRCUIT2:

v
      o----R1----+
                 |
                 E1
                 |
  GND o----------+

Hi,

I got it to work but here's what it took...

I had to physically type "code" and "/code" with brackets into the text box after selecting Courier New. Then i could paste my 'circuit' in between the 'code' tags, then post it . Everything else did not work.

Also, now that it's done, my cursor is not showing up in this text box.

In the following a vertical line means either open bracket '[' or close bracket ']'

So the steps were as so:
1. Select font Courier New.
2. Type "|code|", hit enter, then type "|/code|".
3. Paste text in lines between those two tags.
4. Post it.

Test 2:

Code:
abcdefghijklmnop
1234567890123456[/FONT]

ok that time it inserted that FONT statement for some reason ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back